This is my go to recipe any time we want to make something with barbecue sauce. It requires just a few ingredients, is naturally sweetened and takes less than 30 minutes total- and only about 2 minutes of it is hands on!
- Tomato Sauce
- Honey- You can substitute maple syrup or brown sugar if needed
- Balsamic Vinegar- You can substitute apple cider vinegar if needed
- Ground Mustard
- Paprika- Use regular or smoked
- Sea Salt
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne- Adjust it to suit your desired level of spice or leave it out completely
- Whisk all ingredients together in a sauce pan.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Allow to cool completely and use!
Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. I like to freeze it in ice cube trays so that I can take out just the amount that I need for different recipes.
How to Serve Barbecue Sauce
Try this sauce out on grilled meats, Simple Barbecued Burgers, on Barbecue Chicken Pizza or in BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Boats!
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
- Vegan - If you use maple syrup in place of honey.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 1 (7 oz) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 and ½ tablespoon honey plus additional to taste
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the ingredients and cover.
- Heat over medium high until mixture is boiling, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool completely.
This is my go to barbecue sauce! We put it on everything and I always keep some in the fridge!
I'm glad you enjoy this recipe, Tayler!
This was great on some grilled chicken. Perfectly seasoned and flavorful.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Jamie!
This super easy homemade BBQ sauce is the perfect addition for brushing on chicken or ribs.
Thank you for your kind review, Sharon!
Looks like a super easy sauce recipe. I need to try this out for a barbecue party I am throwing this weekend!
Thank you for your kind review, Neha!