Making fries from scratch is super easy- all you have to do is cut the potatoes, season and bake. And since they are baked with little oil and salt, they are much healthier than those you would find at a restaurant or that come from a package.
- Potatoes- This recipe should work with most types of potatoes but I find either Russets or Yukon Golds give the best results. Or you can try swapping in sweet potatoes. I usually don’t peel the potatoes but you can if you prefer.
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cut the potatoes into ¼-½ inch sticks, depending on your preference. Thinner fries will cook a bit faster so be sure to check them a few minutes early.
- Toss potatoes with oil and seasoning and place on the oven rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve hot!
Fries are best consumed fresh. However, if you have leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or for best results, in the oven at 350 F for 5-10 minutes. They won't be as crispy but they'll still be tasty.
How to Serve Baked Fries
Try these as a side to:
- Simple Barbecue Burgers
- Pork Banh Mi Burgers
- Pulled Pork
- Grilled Turkey Pesto Sandwiches
- Chimichurri Chicken Sandwiches
If you have dietary restrictions, be sure to check any packaging of specific ingredients that you use are compliant. As written, this recipe is naturally:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
Tips and Tricks
- If you don't have an oven rack, you can bake right on the baking sheet. At the half way point, you will need to flip the fries over and then continue to bake. They might stick, so you will need a good spatula to be able to flip them.
- If you have a convection oven, baking at 450 F on the convection setting yields even better results!
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 1 lb potatoes about 2 medium
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line a large baking sheet with an oven safe cooling rack.
- Scrub the potatoes and peel (optional). Slice into ¼-1/2 inch thick sticks and place in a mixing bowl.
- Toss potato sticks with olive oil and seasonings until evenly coated. Place on the rack on the prepared baking sheet, evenly spaced.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. (If your oven has a convection option, using it will result in even crispier fries).
- After 10 minutes, rotate the baking sheet 180 degrees and then return to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes until the edges are lightly browned and the fries are crispy.
- Serve immediately.
More Tasty Side Dishes!