Inspired by the classic Lipton's "Onion Soup Mix" version, these Onion Roasted Potatoes are made from scratch with wholesome ingredients and without soup mix!
Using every day spices and mixed together right in the baking dish (no extra dishes to wash!), they are quick and easy to prepare.
Plus, this copycat version tastes every bit as good as the recipe that inspired them, even with the healthier swaps and reduced oil!
Try making them for a holiday side, to take to a potluck or just to serve with your everyday supper.
- Potatoes- We have made these with a variety of different types of potatoes- russets, Yukon gold or red and they have all turned out. I find Yukon gold potatoes turn out the best, though. Potatoes can be peeled or left unpeeled. For more alternatives, check out this post on Yukon Gold Potato Substitutes.
- Butter- You can use salted or unsalted butter. If using salted butter, reduce added sea salt to ¾ tsp.
- Olive Oil- Avocado oil will also work.
- Dried Onion Flakes
- Dried Basil
- Fine Sea Salt
- Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Parsley
1. Mix. Combine the potatoes with melted butter, olive oil and seasonings. This can be done in the baking dish so that you don't need to dirty an extra bowl!
2. Bake. Place the potatoes in an oven preheated to 450 F. Stir after 20 minutes. The potatoes usually take about 40-50 minutes. They should be tender and lightly crisp.
Make Ahead: This recipe can easily be prepared up to one day in advance. Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. When ready, bake as directed.
To Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I don't recommend freezing as the texture of the potatoes will change.
To Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 350 F for about 15 minutes, until warmed through.
OR Try rewarming the potatoes in a frying pan over medium heat until crispy for some tasty hash browns as a side to brunch . No need to add any oil or butter to the frying pan- there is enough already on the potatoes.
Make It Your Own
- Extra Onion Roasted- Dice a fresh yellow onion and mix it in with the potatoes prior to baking.
- Mix in some other vegetables- Replace a portion of the potatoes with an equal volume of another vegetable such as:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Top with fresh herbs- After the potatoes have finished cooking, add some freshly chopped herbs such as parsley, thyme and chives on top.
These tasty potatoes would be good with almost anything! Some ideas:
- Lemon Garlic Herb Cod
- Grilled Steak
- Roast Chicken
- Baked Salmon
- Pulled Pork
And some other sides that go great with it:
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Onion Roasted Potatoes
- 3 lbs potatoes diced into ½ inch cubes (about 5-6 large or 6 cups diced)
- 3 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F.
- Place potatoes into a shallow baking dish (9x13 or similar capacity). Add butter, olive oil and spices. Mix to combine and ensure all potatoes are coated evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the potatoes are tender and golden brown. Serve hot.
More Side Dish Ideas!
This is so good. Mine got a little crispy. (My fault) but I liked them that way
Awesome. So tasty
The potatoes were so flavorful. I made ours a little bit crispy on top and the family loved them.
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Mirlene!
I love all the flavors of these roasted potatoes. So good and so easy to make.
These onion-roasted potatoes are a great side dish with tons of flavor. I love the homemade seasoning on them.
The seasonings are fantastic and the potatoes look marvelous. Really like that the potatoes got a little crisp to them too. They make a perfect side dish.
We eat a lot of potatoes, so are always looking for new ways to make them exciting. These look amazing.
I love that there is plenty of flavour on these potatoes from store cupboard ingredients. Great for entertaining.
Thank you for your kind review, Amanda.
Wow, this potato recipe is just packed with flavour. Love the amount of spices and herbs added to these roasted potatoes from your recipe. Just delicious.
Thank you for your kind review, Sabine! I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe.
crispy and delicious plus easy perfect in my book thanks
Thank you for your kind review, Claudia
These Onion Roasted Potatoes turned out amazing! The flavors are so addicting plus I love that I didn't have to fry them in tons of oil. Thanks for the recipe!
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Ana!
Your onion roasted potatoes are a perfect dinner for a busy mom. My kids love it. It's simple and delicious, thanks!
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Natalie!