Like a baked potato in soup form, this creamy potato soup is the ultimate comfort food! And while traditional potato soup is often made with wheat flour and heavy cream, this recipe is naturally gluten free (and easily dairy free). Load it up with ALL your favorite toppings for an easy recipe that the whole family will love.
As the days get shorter, the weather gets chillier and the soup season unofficially begins, my meal plan transitions.
Fresh recipes like Santa Fe Salad and Pork Banh Mi Burgers get "packed away" until spring to make room for hearty and cozy recipes like Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Pumpkin Chicken Soup and this creamy gluten-free potato soup.
Because while Thai Peanut Salad will earn its spot back in the rotation when the snow melts and the first tulips appear, in the winter months, I want to eat meals that warm me from the inside out.
And today's simple soup does just that!
- Bacon- For topping and using the rendered fat to cook the onions. If you would like to omit the bacon, you can use olive or avocado oil to cook the onions instead.
- Yellow Onion
- Potatoes- I like this recipe with either Yukon gold or Russet potatoes. For more alternatives, check out this post on Substitutes for Yukon Gold Potatoes.
- Sea Salt
- Dried Thyme, Parsley, Basil and Oregano- You can use 1 teaspoon of just one type of herb or you can substitute 1 teaspoon of a premixed blend of Italian herbs.
- Cayenne Pepper- For a little kick. You can use black pepper instead.
- Milk of Choice (Optional)- If you would like to make it extra creamy, you can add dairy or a non-dairy milk of choice (such as cashew milk, almond milk, oat milk or light coconut milk).
1. Cook bacon. In the bottom of a large pot, cook the bacon over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes until browned and crispy as desired. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel to cool and then crumble.
2. Sauté onions. Drain most of the grease, leaving about 2 tablespoon of bacon fat for cooking the onions. Add the onions to the pot and cook for about 10 minutes covered over medium heat until nicely caramelized, stirring occasionally.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, seasonings and water and simmer. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, seasonings and water. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Allow to cook for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
4. Mash. Use a potato masher to mash the potato chunks and carrots to your desired consistency.
5. Add milk if using. While this soup is creamy thanks to mashing the potatoes, you can make it even creamier by stirring in 1 and ½ cups of your milk of choice.
6. Serve. Top it off with the crumbled cooked bacon as well as all of your favorite toppings such as green onions, shredded cheddar, Greek yogurt, etc.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To Freeze: Allow soup to cool completely in the refrigerator and then transfer to the freezer to freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through.
Make It Your Own
Extra Creamy Potato Soup- Choose to use the optional 1.5 cups of milk (I recommend either whole milk or a can of evaporated milk). Or you can add ½ cup of heavy cream instead.
Dairy Free Potato Soup- Skip the optional milk altogether (I often do and it is still thick and creamy!) or opt to use a non-dairy milk.
Smooth Potato Soup- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to a thick and smooth consistency.
Vegan Potato Soup- Skip the bacon and use 1 tablespoon of olive oil to saute the onions and use a plant based milk.
Garnish a big bowl of soup with all of your favorite toppings!
- Crispy bacon bits
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onions
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Homemade Croutons (Use gluten free bread if needed)
And try it alongside:
- Caesar Salad
- Baked "Fried" Chicken
- Or check out this list of 32 ideas of what to eat with potato soup!
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Potato Soup (Gluten Free)
- 4 slices thin cut bacon
- 1 yellow onion diced (1 cup)
- 2 lb potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch dice (4 cups)
- 4 large carrots diced (2 cups)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 and ½ cups milk of choice optional
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Cook bacon in a large pot over medium-low heat until crisp (8-10 minutes). Remove to a lined plate and crumple or chop when cooled. Drain grease from pot, reserving 2 tablespoon for sautéing onions.
- Increase heat to medium and add the onion. Sauté until soft and just starting to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, water and seasonings. Cover and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash about half of the soup (in the pot) so that some remains chunky, or to your desired consistency. If the soup is too thick, add a bit more water.
- Stir in milk if using.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.
More Comforting Soups!