Made with a handful of simple ingredients, this cherry tomato soup recipe is the best way to use up your ripe tomatoes. A grilled cheese sandwich's best friend, enjoy it for a light lunch or easy dinner.
May to October is undoubtedly my favorite time of year. Partly because it is summer. And partly because it is tomato season.
And when there is an abundance of juicy tomatoes and I can't eat them all right off the vine, this soup is one of the first things that I make.
Using just a few fresh ingredients, the sweet flavor of the fresh tomatoes truly shines through. It is proof that a great recipe doesn't need to be complicated.
- Cherry Tomatoes- 4 cups of grape tomatoes or chopped fresh large garden tomatoes will also work. Or you can use 1 28 oz (796 mL) can of undrained diced or whole tomatoes.
- TIP: If you have an abundance of ripe cherry tomatoes in the summer, wash and dry thoroughly and then simply throw them in the freezer. Take them out and use to make this recipe throughout the winter- no need to thaw.
- Yellow Onions
- Olive Oil- Avocado oil or another neutral cooking oil will work.
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
1. Sauté onions. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat and add the chopped onion, salt and pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook until the onions are soft and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic cloves for 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Deglaze. Add ½ cup of water and stir to deglaze any onion bits from the bottom of the pan.
3. Simmer. Add the remaining water and tomatoes and increase to a medium-high heat to bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft. They should easily burst with the pressure of the spoon when stirring.
4. Puree. Remove the pot from heat and use an immersion blender to blend until fully smooth. Alternatively, if you don't have a blender, you can puree in batches in a blender or a large food processor. Only fill halfway full or less and be very careful blending hot liquids. You could also allow the soup to cool a bit before and then rewarm on the stovetop after.
5. Enjoy! Serve hot.
To Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat.
Make It Your Own
- Creamy Tomato Soup- Stir a splash of heavy cream into your bowl.
- Add Italian Herbs- Add 2 teaspoon of dried Italian Seasoning or a combination of herbs such as basil, parsley, thyme and oregano.
- Make it Spicy- Omit the black pepper and add 1 teaspoon of paprika and ⅛ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (or more depending on your preferences).
Try topping your hot soup with some:
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Homemade Croutons
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped Fresh Herbs such as fresh basil or parsley
For more ideas, check out this list of 37 Perfect Sides to Serve with Tomato Soup (Plus Toppings!).
Make this soup! Or freeze your extra summer tomatoes and use them to make this recipe throughout the winter. Just add them as you would fresh- no need to thaw.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like these other simple soups!
Simple Cherry Tomato Soup
- Immersion Blender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 small yellow onions diced, about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups water divided
- 4 cups fresh cherry tomatoes
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium low and add the onions, salt and pepper. Cook the onions until soft and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 additional minute.
- Add ½ cup of water and stir to deglaze. Stir in the remaining water and tomatoes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Serve hot.
More Soups and Stews!