This Borscht has become something of a tradition for my Dad and I every September Long Weekend. A few years ago, we ended up with a whole lot of garden beets and wanted to find a good way to use them.
We are both fans of Borscht and so we decided to try our hand at making some. We used a recipe from my Grandma's cookbook as a starting point, and over the years it has evolved into our recipe that I am sharing here.
I by no means claim this as a traditional borscht recipe, particularly in terms of the method. For our version, we shred all of the vegetables which ensures a similar cooking time for everything. And then we essentially simmer it all in the pot at once.
But it is very easy to make and I love the way it tastes. I hope you give this recipe a try! And be warned, this recipe yields A LOT- so feel free to make a half batch.
- Olive Oil
- Beets- In order to make peeling the beets a bit less work, we boil them in water for 15 minutes and then immediately place them in a bowl of ice water. The peels tend to come off a lot easier for us this way.
- Potatoes- Any potato that you have on hand will work!
- Cabbage- We typically use green cabbage but purple cabbage would work as well.
- Tomato Paste
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Sauté onions, carrots and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer.
This recipe makes a BIG batch- fortunately the leftovers keep and reheat very well! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat on the stove over medium low heat or microwave.
How to Serve Borscht
I love this borscht all on its own but feel free to dress it up! Classic toppings are dill and sour cream but it is also great with other herbs such as parsley or chives and with yogurt or cream (or cashew cream to keep it vegan but make it creamier). This soup would be great alongside toast, a grilled cheese or these Turkey Pesto Sandwiches!
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 carrots about 1 and ½ cups shredded
- 4 cloves garlic minced (about 4 tsp)
- 8 medium beets peeled, about 3 cups shredded
- 2 lb potatoes about 3 cups shredded
- 1 head cabbage about 8 cups thinly sliced
- 2 (5.5 oz) cans tomato paste
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large, heavy bottomed stock pot, heat olive olive oil over medium. Add onions and carrots and sauté until softened. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add the beets, potatoes, cabbage, tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium low.
- Allow to simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally and until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with desired accompaniments.
More Soups and Stews!