I don't think you can ever have too many easy, one-pot meal recipes and this White Chicken Chili with Kale is begging to be added to your repertoire!
Packed with flavour, cooked mostly hands off and filled with wholesome ingredients (like this One Pot Turkey Chili!), it is perfect for a night when you don't really feel like cooking!
And since it is made with just 5 ingredients plus a few basic seasonings and water, it is the kind of dinner you can make even when you didn't plan ahead!
- Chicken- If you have 2-3 cups of leftover shredded or diced chicken, you can use that- just stir it in at the end. You can also substitute with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Or you can leave the chicken out for a vegan chili and add another can of beans if you prefer.
- White Beans- You need 2 cans or 4 cups cooked of white beans (a.k.a. Great Northern Beans, Navy Beans, Cannellini Beans) for this recipe, that have been rinsed and drained. The beans will be partially blended at the end to thicken the chili.
- Chopped Green Chiles- The 2 cans of chopped green chiles (may also be labelled diced green chiles) are the base of the flavor to this white chili.
- Yellow Onion- A red onion will also work.
- Garlic Powder- You can use 3 cloves of minced garlic instead.
- Chili Powder
- Sea Salt
- Cayenne -If you are sensitive to spice, you can reduce or omit.
- Baby Kale- This can be left out or you can use a different green such as spinach.
1. Simmer. Add all of the ingredients except the chicken and kale to a large pot and stir. Set the chicken in the centre and push down so that it is submerged in the broth. Simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
2. Shred Chicken. Once the chicken is cooked through (165 F), remove it to a large bowl. Shred the chicken using a hand mixer (best trick ever- it takes less than a minute!). You can also shred it with your two forks or dice it into small cubes if you prefer.
3. Puree. Use an immersion blender to blend part of the chili in order to thicken it. You can skip this step if you like. Or, if you don't have an immersion blender, you can place a few scoops in a regular blender to thicken and then stir it back in. Be careful when blending hot liquids that you don't over fill the blender!
4. Mix in chicken. Stir the chicken back in.
5. Add kale. Increase the heat to medium high and stir in the kale until wilted (about 5 minutes).
6. Serve! Top with all of your favourite chili toppings and enjoy.
To Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or on the stove over medium heat for 5-10 minutes with an extra splash of water.
Make It Your Own
- Add Corn- Stir in 1-2 cups of frozen or canned corn at the same time as the shredded chicken.
- Change Up the Greens- Substitute spinach or Swiss chard in place of the kale.
- Used Pulled Pork- If you have some leftover Pulled Pork hanging around, omit the chicken in the recipe. Then once you have pureed the soup, stir in 2-3 cups of leftover pork and cook for 5-10 minutes to warm through.
- Make It Vegan- Leave out the chicken and add an additional can of white beans.
- Top it with:
- Green Onions
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Tortilla Chips
- Have it alongside:
- Corn Tortillas
- Honey Oat Bread
- Crispy Baked Sweet Plantains
- Or check out this list of 36 Perfect Ideas to Serve with White Chicken Chili (Plus Toppings!) for even more inspiration
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
White Chicken Chili with Kale
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (19 oz) cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed (or 4 cups cooked)
- 2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chiles
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 and ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 and ½ cups water
- 5 oz chopped baby kale
- To a large pot, add the beans, chiles, onion, garlic, seasonings and water and stir. Place the chicken in the centre and push it down to submerge it in the broth.
- Place the pot over medium heat, and bring to a simmer for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through to 165 F.
- Remove the chicken to a large bowl and shred using a hand mixer.
- Using an immersion blender, puree about half to two thirds of the chili to thicken it.
- Add the chicken back into the pot and then stir in the kale. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring often until the kale is wilted.
So comforting, and I have tons of kale in my CSA box this week!
Thank you for your kind review, Sue!
This soup turned out great! The chili powder added a nice kick, and it made for such a hearty soup. Will definitely make this again with fall coming up.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Amanda!
This white chicken chili was so delicious! I love how easy it was to make too!
Thank you for your kind review, Amy!
I enjoyed very much the white chili and we loved the addition of kale. Thanks for the recipe.
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Tavo!
I made this chili with dinner last night and it was amazing! My whole family loved it so we will definitely be making it again soon!
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Tayler!