With a bright lemon herb flavor and a creamy texture, this easy rice dish is delicious alongside a variety of main dishes. This tasty recipe is a simple way to elevate your plain rice.
It's always good to have a few solid go-to side dishes in your back pocket and this Lemon Herb Rice is begging to be added to your repertoire!
With a creamy texture, it tastes like something worthy of a special meal (almost like a risotto!), but it happens to be easy enough to make any day.
It can easily be scaled up or down, you can customize it to add vegetables and it even freezes well!
And if you'd like, you can turn it into an easy one-pot meal with this Lemon Herb Shrimp Rice Skillet recipe.
- Butter- Salted or unsalted butter can be used. If you need the dish to be dairy free, you can use olive or avocado oil instead.
- Garlic- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder can be used instead. Add it at the same time as the Italian herbs.
- Long Grain White Rice- Use a long grain white rice such as jasmine or basmati for this recipe.
- Lemon Juice- You need about ¼ cup of lemon juice which is approximately one lemon.
- Italian Herbs- You can use a premixed blend of dried Italian Herbs or any combination of parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, savory, etc. that you have on hand.
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
1. Melt Butter. Heat a deep skillet or pot over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasty, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Toast rice. Add the rice to the garlic butter and stir to coat. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Simmer. Add remaining ingredients, cover and let simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through, adding a splash of water if it seems dry.
Make it Your Own
- Make it cheesy- Stir in ⅓ cup (1 oz) of shredded Parmesan at the end plus top with additional as desired.
- Use fresh herbs- If you have fresh Italian herbs on hand, use 2 tablespoons finely chopped in place of dry and garnish with additional herbs at the end.
- Add some vegetables- After 8-10 minutes of cooking, stir in either 1 cup of frozen peas, 5 oz (5 cups) of fresh spinach or both! Continue to cook for 4-7 minutes until rice is tender and vegetables are warmed through.
- Make it Dairy Free- Use olive oil in place of butter.
This Herb and Lemon rice is a versatile side for so many dishes! Try it alongside fish (such as Lemon Garlic Herb Cod), chicken or steak. Baked Herb Tomato Zucchini or Honey Oat Bread would be nice complements as well.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Lemon Herb Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and ½ cups long grain white rice
- 2 and ¾ cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a deep non-stick skillet or pot over medium heat and add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add rice to skillet and stir until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, spices and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and creamy.
More ideas for Side Dishes!