This Lemon Herb Rice is a great side dish to have in your back pocket. It is incredibly easy to make, can be scaled up or down depending on how many servings you need and tastes like something worthy of accompanying a special meal.
- Butter- Salted or unsalted butter can be used. If you need the dish to be dairy free, you can use olive or avocado oil instead. It may taste slightly different but still delicious.
- Garlic- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder can be used instead. Add it at the same time as the Italian herbs.
- Long Grain White Rice- Use a long grain white rice such as jasmine or basmati for this recipe. I have not tested this recipe with short grain or brown rice.
- Lemon Juice- You need about ¼ cup of lemon juice which is approximately one lemon.
- Italian Herbs- You can use a premixed blend of dried Italian Herbs or any combination of parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, savory, etc. that you have on hand.
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Melt butter and add garlic.
- Toast rice.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer.
Store leftover Lemon Herb Rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave, adding a splash of water if it seems dry.
How to Serve Lemon Herb Rice
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free - If you use olive oil in place of butter.
- Gluten Free
- Vegan - If you substitute olive oil for butter.
And if you liked this Lemon Herb Rice...
...you might also like:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and ½ cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add rice to skillet until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, spices and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and creamy.
More ideas for Side Dishes!