It's always good to have a few solid go-to side dishes in your back pocket and this Lemon Herb Rice is begging to be added to your repertoire!
With a creamy texture, it tastes like something worthy of a special meal (almost like a risotto!), but it happens to be easy enough to make any day.
It can easily be scaled up or down, you can customize it to add vegetables and it even freezes well!
And if you'd like, you can turn it into an easy one-pot meal with this Lemon Herb Shrimp Rice Skillet recipe.
- Butter- Salted or unsalted butter can be used. If you need the dish to be dairy free, you can use olive or avocado oil instead.
- Garlic- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder can be used instead. Add it at the same time as the Italian herbs.
- Long Grain White Rice- Use a long grain white rice such as jasmine or basmati for this recipe.
- Lemon Juice- You need about ¼ cup of lemon juice which is approximately one lemon.
- Italian Herbs- You can use a premixed blend of dried Italian Herbs or any combination of parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, savory, etc. that you have on hand.
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
1. Melt Butter. Heat a deep skillet or pot over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasty, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Toast rice. Add the rice to the garlic butter and stir to coat. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Simmer. Add remaining ingredients, cover and let simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender.
To Store: Store leftover rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through, adding a splash of water if it seems dry.
Make it Your Own
- Make it cheesy- Stir in ⅓ cup (1 oz) of shredded Parmesan at the end plus top with additional as desired.
- Use fresh herbs- If you have fresh Italian herbs on hand, use 2 tablespoons finely chopped in place of dry and garnish with additional herbs at the end.
- Add some vegetables- After 8-10 minutes of cooking, stir in either 1 cup of frozen peas, 5 oz (5 cups) of fresh spinach or both! Continue to cook for 4-7 minutes until rice is tender and vegetables are warmed through.
This Herb and Lemon rice is a versatile side for so many dishes! Try it alongside fish (such as Lemon Garlic Herb Cod), chicken or steak. Baked Herb Tomato Zucchini or Honey Oat Bread would be nice complements as well.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free - If you use olive oil in place of butter.
- Gluten Free
- Vegan - If you substitute olive oil for butter.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Lemon Herb Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and ½ cups long grain white rice
- 2 and ¾ cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a deep non-stick skillet or pot over medium heat and add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add rice to skillet and stir until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, spices and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and creamy.
More ideas for Side Dishes!
This rice is sooooo delicious. Cannot wait to make it again. Don’t know if I’ll ever eat plain rice again. Thanks
Your lemon and herbs rice is one of our favorites to have for dinner. I have made it with fish and chicken the past few nights. My family always requests it!
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Mirlene!
This lemon rice was perfect as a side dish for our Sunday brunch! Thanks for the recipe!
We loved this rice! It's just the perfect flavor to compliment any main. So nice to have up your sleeve for weeknight dinners!
Thank you for your kind review, Dana!
Enjoyed this with dinner last night and it was a hit all around the table! Perfectly tangy and delicious; easily, a new favorite recipe!
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Sara!
This is my absolute new favorite rice recipe! It's so simple yet flavorful!
Thank you for your kind review, Tayler!