Zesty Chimichurri sauce adds an exciting dimension of flavor to rice in this quick and simple side dish. Use it as the base of a burrito bowl, serve it alongside a main dish meat or fish and more!
The first time I made homemade Chimichurri sauce, I knew it was going to be a staple in our house.
Like Cajun Honey Butter, this uncooked sauce tastes amazing when used in countless different ways!
Originating from South America, it is typically used as an accompaniment to grilled meats.
But I've come to enjoy its tangy flavor on almost anything.
From using it to make a Chimichurri chicken sandwich to a topping on an omelet to stirring it into this Chimichurri Rice Recipe, it always seems to turn simple ingredients into a flavorful dish.
- Rice- Whatever you have on hand will work- white rice or brown rice. You could even use riced cauliflower.
- Fresh Parsley- Trim off the stems
- Red Wine Vinegar- Balsamic or white wine vinegar will also taste great but aren't what you would traditionally find it made with.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- A mild avocado oil will also work.
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Dried Oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes- AKA Red Chili Flakes
1. Prepare Rice. Rinse the rice until the water runs mostly clear. (See this post for more on how and why it produces fluffy rice.) Cook as per package directions on the stovetop or using a rice cooker.
2. Make Chimichurri. While the rice is cooking, you'll have just enough time to make this quick Chimichurri recipe. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and use an immersion blender to blend smooth or process in a food processor or high speed blender.
3. Mix. Stir together the cooked rice and fresh Chimichurri sauce until fully incorporated.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover Chimichurri rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm leftover rice in the microwave or on the stovetop adding a splash of water if needed.
Make it Your Own
Change up the Chimichurri:
- Replace half of the parsley with fresh Cilantro to add some different flavor to this delicious dish.
Add Some Vegetables:
- While the rice cooks, you can sauté some vegetables to stir in at the same time as the Chimichurri. Some great options would be:
- Diced tomatoes
- Yellow or white onion
- Bell Pepper
Garnish this perfect side dish with:
- Fresh herbs such as green onions, fresh oregano, cilantro or parsley leaves
- Cracked Black Pepper
Use it to make this Chimichurri Rice Bowl with Shrimp (great for meal prep!)
Or enjoy this rice side as the perfect accompaniment for:
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 1 and ¼ cups rice of choice
- salt to taste
Chimichurri (You Need ¼ cup- quarter of a batch)
- 1 bundle fresh parsley
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Rinse rice and cook as per your package directions.
- Meanwhile, add all of the Chimichurri ingredients to a bowl and blend to your desired consistency using a hand blender. Or you can combine everything in a food processor or blender.
- Stir together the cooked rice and fresh Chimichurri sauce until fully incorporated. Taste and add additional Chimichurri and salt as needed.
- Serve, garnished with additional parsley.