Greek-style yogurt has become a popular healthier snack thanks to its thick texture, high protein content and active cultures. But what if you don't like the taste of plain Greek yogurt? Let this post be your ultimate guide of ways to enjoy the tangy flavor of any type of yogurt.
Friends, I have been a fan of Greek yogurt for years!
And throughout the years of my (near) obsession, I have found all sorts of delicious ways to enjoy this high protein snack.
From adding balsamic vinegar (truuussst me!) to fresh fruit, enjoying it in savory forms and using it in recipes (like a frittata or mashed potatoes), I have become somewhat of a self-proclaimed expert on this tasty ingredient.
So without further ado, here are my simple tips to make plain Greek yogurt taste delicious!
(Or any yogurt choice really- try these ideas with plain Balkan-style or Skyr yogurt as well!)
Make it Sweet
Satisfy your sugar cravings with one (or a combination of) these ideas for good options to sweeten your cup of Greek yogurt!
Opt to buy plain at the grocery stores and then use some of these natural ingredients, so that you can control the amount of sweetness per serving.
1. Fruit- A great way to improve the taste of plain yogurt, the natural sugars of fruit add a bit of sweetness but with less sugar. Any type of fresh or frozen fruit works! Some of my favorites to have with yogurt are:
- Fresh Berries
- Sliced Banana
- Shredded Apple
- Diced Mango
2. Fruit Jam- Another simple way to add some sweeter flavor to tart yogurt, try stirring in a tablespoon or two of your favorite flavor of jam or jelly (or Cranberry Sauce).
3. Toasted Coconut- Sprinkle some toasted coconut flakes on top for a tropical twist to your regular yogurt.
4. Pumpkin- Mix in a spoonful of pumpkin puree (and maybe some honey and cinnamon) for a seasonal twist.
5. Cocoa- Satisfy your chocolate cravings by stirring in a spoonful of cocoa powder for a rich and indulgent treat (these 3 Ingredient Banana Brownies are another great way to get your chocolate fix!). You may need to add a bit of honey or maple syrup so that it doesn't taste bitter.
6. Cinnamon- Sprinkle some cinnamon on your yogurt for a warm and comforting flavor. You might want to add some honey as well depending on your personal preference.
7. Vanilla Extract- Enhance the plain yogurt taste by adding a dash of vanilla extract to create a delicious vanilla yogurt. It might be necessary to add a bit of a neutral sweetener such as agave nectar.
8. Honey- Drizzle some raw honey over your yogurt to enjoy its natural sweetness and a hint of floral goodness or to sweeten one of the previous suggestions.
9. Pure Maple Syrup- Alternatively, add some maple flavor with this natural sweetener instead.
Make it Savory
While we often associate Greek yogurt with sweetness, it's time to explore the savory side of this versatile ingredient. Some of these ideas also make excellent veggie and chip dips!
For some of these ideas, you may want to try adding a sprinkle of salt and maybe pepper as well.
11. Pesto- Swirl in a spoonful of pesto to infuse your Greek yogurt with the vibrant flavors of basil, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese.
12. Roasted Vegetables- Add a handful of roasted vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini or carrots to bring a delicious savory element to your yogurt.
14. Everything Bagel Seasoning- Add a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning to bring a savory and aromatic profile to your yogurt.
15. Garlic- Mix in some minced garlic for a bold and savory kick that pairs well with the creamy texture. If you enjoy Tzatziki, try adding some fresh dill and lemon juice as well!
16. Fresh Herbs- Finely chop fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or dill and mix them into your yogurt for a burst of fresh and herbaceous flavor.
17. Harissa- Incorporate a dollop of harissa paste to add a fiery and smoky flair to your savory Greek yogurt.
18. Guacamole- Spoon some guacamole onto your yogurt for a creamy and flavorful combination that satisfies your savory cravings.
Sweet or Savory
These versatile additions can be used in different ways to make your yogurt sweet or savory, depending on what you put with them!
19. Citrus Zest- Add a burst of freshness by grating some citrus zest, such as lemon, lime, or orange, into your yogurt.
20. Balsamic Vinegar- Whether you drizzle it over your Greek yogurt or mix it in, balsamic vinegar adds a tangy and slightly sweet flavor that complements both sweet and savory toppings. I love incorporating the flavored options you can find at specialty stores such as coconut or raspberry. But use it sparingly- a little goes a long way!
21. Nut Butter- Creamy and indulgent, nut butters (like macadamia butter) are a fantastic addition to Greek yogurt that brings both richness and a touch of natural sweetness.
If you need more inspiration, try putting together one of these incredible flavor combinations!
Coffee- Infuse your Greek yogurt with the rich and robust flavor of coffee by stirring in a teaspoon of instant coffee or espresso powder and a dash of honey. Top it off with a sprinkle of cocoa powder or chocolate shavings for an indulgent treat.
Peanut Butter Cinnamon- Swirl a spoonful of creamy natural-style peanut butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon and maybe some honey into your yogurt for a delightful combination of nuttiness and warm spice. This is delicious as a dip for apples as well!
Dark Chocolate- Indulge in the decadent flavors of dark chocolate by adding a tablespoon of cocoa and a drizzle of honey. Top with cacao nibs for some crunch.
PB and J- Combine the classic flavors of peanut butter and jelly by mixing in a spoonful of your favorite fruit jam or jelly with a dollop of peanut butter.
^^This might just be my favorite recipe for enjoying my homemade yogurt! I like to add frozen berries to it as well and some chopped peanuts for crunch.
Pumpkin "Cheesecake"- Stir in a spoonful of pumpkin puree, a dash of pumpkin pie spice, and a touch of honey or maple syrup to recreate the luscious taste of pumpkin cheesecake with your yogurt.
Strawberries n' Cream- Add a burst of freshness to your Greek yogurt with sliced fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey or agave syrup. It's a delightful combination that mimics the classic dessert of strawberries and cream.
Experiment with these different ideas and take your Greek yogurt game to the next level! I hope this post will help you to love Greek yogurt as much as I do!
And if you try any of these suggestions or have any other ideas, I'd love to know what you think in the comments below.