Full of flavour, creamy and simple, you'll love this Greek Yogurt Frittata! The recipe is a basic formula of just a few ingredients. But don't be fooled... it is delicious! Plus it makes the perfect starting point to include whatever you have on hand. The combinations are endless!
Impressive, delicious and easy, what's not to love about Frittata?!
If you've never made a frittata (aka. Crustless Quiche) before, this recipe is the place to start. Incredibly forgiving, versatile and delicious- you can get as creative as you want or keep it simple.
Great as brunch or dinner (or really anytime in between!), this version includes Greek yogurt for an extra boost of protein and a frittata that turns out ultra thick and creamy.
- Eggs- You need 10 large eggs for this recipe which is approximately 2 cups. You could use carton eggs if you prefer.
- Greek Yogurt- This recipe should work with any type of yogurt.
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Hot Sauce
- Avocado Oil- Another neutral cooking oil will also work.
- Add Ins! You can mix in up to 3 cups of vegetables, 1 cup of cooked meat, 1 cup of cheese and 1 cup of fresh herbs. See below for lots of suggestions!
1. Prepare add ins (OPTIONAL). If using a cast iron skillet, you can prepare the add ins in the same pan as you will be cooking the frittata. If using meat, cook through and then remove to a plate to chop. Drain any grease and then add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to sauté the vegetables. Once cooked through and softened, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
2. Mix. Combine the eggs, Greek yogurt and seasoning until just smooth. Fold in any add ins.
3. Bake. Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to your skillet (or alternate baking dish- see below for options). Pour the mixture in and bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes. The centre should appear just barely set.
TIP: If using add ins, reserve a handful to sprinkle over top of the egg mixture before baking so that they don't all settle to the bottom. (This is purely for looks- it will still taste delicious if you just add them all at once!)
4. Slice and serve. Remove from the oven and allow to cool and set for 5 minutes. Slice into desired sizes and serve while hot!
Make Ahead: Prepare any add ins up to 1 day ahead and store in the refrigerator.
To Store: Cool and store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: For best results, place the frittata in an oven safe dish with a lid and reheat in the oven at 350 F for about 10 minutes.
For a bit of a quicker method, you can reheat in a skillet. Melt butter and add the frittata. Cover and cook for 2 minutes and then flip. Cook covered for an additional 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
For the fastest method, you can reheat the frittata in the microwave for 45-90 seconds. It may release a lot of moisture (especially if it had been frozen), so you may want to place it on a paper towel to absorb some of it.
Suggested Flavour Variations
See the recipe card and "The Method" above for details on extra steps and prep for add ins. *Meat and vegetables need to be chopped, cooked and slightly cool prior to adding them to the egg mixture.
1. Denver "Omelet"
- Yellow Onion
- Bell Pepper
2. Smoked Salmon and Herb
- Yellow Onion
- Smoked Salmon
- Goat Cheese
3. Spinach and Sun-dried Tomato
- Sun-dried Tomatoes
4. Bacon, Cheddar and Scallion
- Green Onions
5. Make It Your Own
Add up to:
- 3 cups Vegetables
- Asparagus, sweet potatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, leftover roasted vegetables- or anything else you have on hand!
- 1 cup Meat
- Bacon, sausage, ham, chicken, etc.
- 1 cup Cheese
- Cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, goat cheese, etc.
- 1 cup Fresh Herbs
- Dill, parsley, basil, cilantro, etc.
Egg White Greek Yogurt Frittata
If you would like to use just egg whites for this recipe, replace the whole eggs with 2 cups of egg whites (approximately 20 eggs). Or check out this Egg White Bites Recipe instead!
Alternate Baking Dishes
No cast iron skillet? No problem! You can bake your frittata in one of these options instead.
- Casserole Dish- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x9 casserole dish. Bake time will be the same.
- Deep 9 or 10" Pie Dish- Grease a deep pie dish and pour the mixture into it. Follow recipe baking time.
- Muffin Tins- For 16-24 muffins (depending on the amount of add ins), divide the mixture into a greased, non-stick muffin tin. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Bake for 14-18 minutes.
Frittatas are great for brunch and are also a great option for "Breakfast for Supper"! Or enjoy it for a high protein snack for the middle of the day.
If serving it for brunch, try it alongside:
- Cooked bacon or breakfast sausages
- Honey Spice Zucchini Muffins or Blueberry Muffins
- Fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries or sliced oranges
- Hash browns, or this Sweet Potato and Russet Hash (just leave off the eggs)
- Toasted Honey Oat Bread
- Or see this list of more ideas!
And if you are having it for supper, it would go great with:
- A simple salad, such as Mixed Berry Spinach Salad
- Salmon (smoked, baked or fried)
- Onion Roasted Potatoes
- Or check out this list for more inspiration!
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Egg White Bites (Starbucks Copycat)
- Everything Bagel Casserole (For Two)
- Sweet Potato and Russet Hash with Eggs
Greek Yogurt Frittata
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon hot sauce optional
- 1-2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 green bell pepper chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 cup ham cooked and chopped
Smoked Salmon and Herb
- 1 small yellow onion chopped, about ½ cup
- 8 oz smoked salmon cut into small pieces, about 1 cup
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbled, about ¾ cup
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ¼ cup dill chopped
- 2 tablespoon chives chopped
Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1 cup frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 4 oz feta crumbled, about ¾ cup
Bacon, Cheddar and Scallion
- 8 slices bacon cooked and chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoon green onions chopped
Or Make It Your Own!
- Up to 3 cups vegetables chopped and cooked
- Up to 1 cup meat cooked and crumbled or chopped
- Up to 1 cup cheese grated or crumbled
- Up to 1 cup fresh herbs chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
Smoked Salmon and Herb:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
Make it Your Own:
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to a cast iron skillet and heat over medium. Add any chopped vegetables that you are using and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Complete any needed prep as noted above.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, seasonings and hot sauce until smooth. Fold in any additional add ins (if using). Tip: Reserve about ¼ cup of add ins to sprinkle on top just before baking. This will prevent them from all ending up on the bottom. (Just for presentation!)
- Oil a well seasoned cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and pour the mixture into it. (Top with any reserved add ins). Bake for 20-25 minutes until no longer jiggly in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
More Breakfast and Brunch ideas!
Such a great idea to use what you already have but I really love the smoked salmon version and the cheese and bacon. So delicious.
Thank you for your kind review, Amanda!
I love me a good frittata and this one did not disappoint. Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you liked this recipe, DJ!
I did the bacon, cheddar and scallion one and it was creamy and delicious! I want to try the smoked salmon one next!
I'm glad you enjoyed the frittata, Jen! The smoked salmon version is my favourite so I hope that you love it!
I love how easy and delicious this is!! Such a perfect day starter!
Thank you, Toni!
I love the different variations you shared! Especially the bacon, cheddar and chives version!
Thank you for your kind comments, Tayler!