These Honey Spice Zucchini Muffins are full of a cozy mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and ginger and make me think of carrot cake. They are made entirely with whole wheat and are great to pack along as a snack. Or dress them up with a cheesecake filling and streusel topping for a wholesome treat!
- Whole Wheat Flour- All purpose flour would work as well.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Fine Sea Salt
- Cinnamon, Allspice, Cloves, Nutmeg, Ginger- You can substitute 1 tablespoon of a premixed pumpkin pie or apple pie spice mix.
- Honey- Maple syrup would work as well. The flavor will be different but still delicious.
- Coconut Oil- Olive oil or vegetable oil can be used instead.
- Apple Sauce
- Vanilla Extract
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Mix together wet ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and fold in zucchini.
- Scoop into muffin tins and bake.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Honey Spice Zucchini Muffins Variations
- Top with Streusel- Melt ¼ cup of butter and mix with ¾ cup large flake rolled oats, ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Spoon crumbly mixture on top of filled muffin liners prior to baking.
- Add a Cheesecake Filling- Whip together 8 oz cream cheese with 1 egg, 2 tablespoon white sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fill muffin liner ⅓, add about 1-1.5 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and then top with additional batter to just below the top of the liner. Baking instructions remain the same.
- Use some mix ins- Add up to 1 cup of chopped nuts, raisins, white chocolate chips or other favorite mix ins!
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
More Ways to Use Zucchini!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two muffin tins with enough for 14-16 muffins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey, coconut oil, apple sauce, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the zucchini.
- Fill prepared muffin liners about ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick poked in the center comes out mostly clean or the centers bounce back when lightly pressed.
- Allow to cool in tins for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
More Healthy Snacks!