These Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are one of my favorite healthy treats. They are so soft and fluffy and can easily pass for cupcakes alongside some ice cream or frosting! Or enjoy them as part of breakfast or for a quick snack throughout the day.
And if you'd like to try making a loaf instead, be sure to check out this Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe!
- Zucchini– Usually about 1 small zucchini will yield the 1.5 cups that we need for the recipe. This recipe also works well with frozen zucchini. Shred before freezing and use 1.5 cups of frozen, shredded zucchini (which will end up being closer to 1 cup after thawing but that is okay). Thaw before using but don’t use the liquid that drains off from thawing.
- Whole Wheat Flour– All purpose flour can be used instead.
- Cocoa Powder
- Espresso Powder– You can substitute ½ teaspoon of instant coffee or leave it out.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sea Salt
- Chocolate Chips– I typically use dark chocolate chips or occasionally cacao nibs. Feel free to substitute or use a combination of white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts or other favorite add ins. You can increase the amount up to 1 cup.
- Coconut Oil– You can substitute vegetable or canola oil.
- Plain Yogurt– Any type of plain yogurt will work- Balkan, Greek, Skyr. Or substitute sour cream.
- White Sugar- For a sweeter muffin, increase the sugar to ½ cup or even ¾ cup.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Mix together wet ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Divide into muffin tins.
- Bake and enjoy!
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Leftover Storage
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 and ½ cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 muffin trays with 14-16 liners.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, espresso powder and chocolate chips. Whisk to combine.
- Add the coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave until melted. Whisk in the yogurt and sugar followed by the eggs and continue to stir until well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add the shredded zucchini and fold to combine.
- Fill muffin liners ¾ full and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out mostly clean or the centre of the muffins bounce back when pressed lightly.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
More Tasty Snacks!