These Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes are made with just 3 basic ingredients! They are a great recipe to have in your back pocket for a quick and impressive dessert. They are much easier to make than they appear.
- Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate- Bittersweet or unsweetened baking chocolate can be used in place of semi sweet. However, you will want to add 1-2 tablespoon of icing sugar (at the same time as you add the eggs).
- Salted Butter- If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt.
- Eggs- You need 1 large egg PLUS an extra egg yolk. This is what gives the lava cake it's gooey centre.
- Prep muffin tin.
- Melt butter and chocolate.
- Add eggs.
- Divide mixture into prepared muffin tin.
Dessert is best served fresh. If you have leftovers, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Rewarm in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
This is a great dessert to prepare ahead! Prepare the mixture and divide it into the muffin tin. Then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days until ready to bake. Or you can freeze the prepared tin for up to 3 months. You can bake it directly from the fridge or frozen. You may need to add 1 extra minute from refrigerated and 1-3 extra minutes from frozen. It is important that you divide the mixture into the prepared tin before refrigerating or freezing.
Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes Variations
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Lava Cakes- Scoop 1 and ½ tablespoon of lava cake batter into a prepared muffin tin spot, top with ½ tablespoon peanut butter of choice followed by about 1 and ½ more tablespoon of lava cake batter. Repeat with remaining lava cakes. Baking instructions remain the same.
How to Serve Lava Cakes
I'm personally a huge fan of deep chocolate flavor, so I usually eat these all on their own. However, they are also tasty with any of the following topping ideas!
- Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Salted Caramel
- Roasted and Chopped Nuts
- Fresh Berries
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
- For slightly more generous servings, the batter can divided between just 3 spots.
- This recipe can easily be multiplied!
And if you liked this...
...you might also like these other chocolate recipes!
- 3 oz Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 425. To make removal of the cakes easy, grease 4 spots in a muffin tin and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter in 20 second increments, stirring un between each time until smooth.
- Allow the chocolate mixture to cool for a couple of minutes (so that it doesn't cook the egg), then whisk in the egg and egg yolk until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 prepared spots in the muffin tin.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until the sides appear set. The center will still look soft.
- Run a knife all the way around the edges of each lava cake to make them easy to release. Place a flat plate or cookie sheet upside down on top of the hot muffin tin, then use oven mitts and hold the two together and invert the muffin tin onto the plate. Remove the oven tin and use a spatula to move the lava cakes to individual dishes.
- Serve immediately, topped with ice cream as desired.