The flavors of buffalo wings meet loaded baked potato in this buffalo chicken potato casserole. Comfort food at it's finest, this one pan simple meal features cheesy potatoes, spicy cauliflower and tender chicken in what just might be your new favorite dinner recipe.
From buffalo chicken dip to chili to sandwiches and more, there is certainly more that one great way to enjoy buffalo chicken flavor.
But we could always use another, am I right?
I know that some people have an aversion to casseroles, but I am not one of them.
And so when I got to thinking about a buffalo chicken casserole, I thought it would be the perfect way to enjoy this delicious flavor.
Made with simple ingredients like potatoes (or swap sweet potatoes- I love this version as well!), chicken and hot sauce, this casserole sneaks in some veggies (check out the "Make It Your Own" section for ways to add even more), has just the right amount of cheese to ensure that the whole family will love it and cooks in only a baking dish.
Even if you have bad recollections of casseroles in the past, I encourage you to give this recipe a try. It might be just what you need to erase those memories..
- Frank's Red Hot Sauce- Another similar cayenne pepper hot sauce can be used though the spice level may vary.
- Butter- Like in these onion roasted potatoes, butter adds amazing flavor compared with roasting in oil alone. If needed, though, you can replace the butter with additional oil.
- Avocado Oil- Another cooking oil or olive oil can be used if needed.
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Potatoes- I typically use Yukon gold potatoes but any type should work.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast- If you'd prefer, you can use thighs instead.
- Cauliflower- Fresh or frozen work in this recipe. You can omit the cauliflower and replace it with additional potatoes or another vegetable as well.
- Cheddar Cheese- Another semi-hard cheese such as gouda or mozzarella will also work.
- Bacon- If you have precooked bacon or bits on hand, you can simply use that. If not, see the optional step for cooking the bacon with the potatoes. This can also be omitted if you prefer.
- Green Onions
1. Mix buffalo sauce. In a small bowl, melt the butter and then add the hot sauce, oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
2. Bake potatoes. Add the cubed potatoes to a 9x13 inch prepared baking dish and pour half of the hot sauce mixture over top. Stir to mix and then bake in a 450 F preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until tender and starting to get crispy and golden brown, stirring halfway through.
TIP: If you don't have cooked bacon on hand, reduce the butter in the sauce to 2 tablespoons and lay 6 slices of thin cut bacon on top of the potatoes just before placing them in the oven.
Then after 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and use a fork to move the bacon to a plate with paper towels. Stir the potato mixture and bake for 15-20 additional minutes.
When the crispy bacon is cool enough to handle, chop or crumble into pieces.
3. Prepare chicken. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix the diced raw chicken and cauliflower with the remaining mixture of buffalo sauce.
4. Cook chicken. Once the potatoes have cooked, remove the casserole dish from the oven and spread the uncooked chicken mixture on top of the cooked potatoes.
Top with the shredded cheese. Place back into the oven and bake for 18-23 minutes until the chicken is cooked through to 165 F and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
5. Serve! Top with bacon, green onions, crumbled blue cheese, Greek yogurt (or Santa Fe Ranch) and extra hot sauce as desired.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover buffalo chicken casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I don't recommend freezing as the potatoes may become mealy.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through. Or if you have a lot of leftover casserole still in the baking pan, you can reheat the full dish in the oven at 350 F for 25-35 minutes.
Make it Your Own
Use Sweet Potatoes- Try making this buffalo chicken casserole with sweet potatoes in place of some or all of the potatoes.
Add More Veggies- Add up to 1 cup of additional vegetables or replace some or all of the cauliflower with:
- Bell Peppers
Garnish this Buffalo Chicken and Potato Casserole with:
- Additional sliced green onions
- Chopped Cilantro
- Blue Cheese
- Greek Yogurt
- Santa Fe Ranch
And if you're look for some great side dishes to have with it, try:
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Cumin Chicken and Carrots Sheet Pan
- Cajun Chicken Sheet Pan (With Honey Butter)
- Buffalo Chicken Chili (Slow Cooker)
Buffalo Chicken and Potato Casserole
- ⅓ cup Frank's Red hot sauce
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 lb potatoes diced into ½ inch cubes, 6 cups
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets cut into ½ inch florets
- ½ cup cooked, crumbled bacon or 6 slices
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup green onions sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F. Prepare a 9x13 dish.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter and combine hot sauce, oil, black pepper and salt.
- Add the potatoes to the baking dish and pour half of the sauce over top. Stir to mix evenly.
- Bake potatoes for 35-40 minutes until tender and starting to get crispy, stirring halfway through.
- Optional: If you need to cook bacon, reduce the butter in the recipe to 2 tablespoon and place 6 slices on top of the potatoes for the first 20 minutes. When you remove the pan to stir, remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Once cool, cut or crumble into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, toss the cubed chicken and cauliflower with the remaining sauce.
- Spread the chicken and cauliflower mixture evenly over the potatoes and then sprinkle the cheese over top.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve, garnished with green onions and bacon along with Greek yogurt and crumbled blue cheese as desired.