We're getting close to the time of year when there is an excess of zucchini around and this Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Bread is one of my favorite ways to use it up! This recipe works really well with frozen zucchini, so you can shred and freeze your excess zucchini in order to make this loaf any time of the year. Or try making Chocolate Zucchini Muffins instead!
- Zucchini- This recipe works very well with frozen zucchini- that's how I make it most of the time! Use about 1.5 cups of frozen, shredded zucchini (it will end up being closer to 1 cup after thawing). Thaw before using and don't use the liquid that drains off from thawing. You can also use freshly shredded zucchini- usually about 1 small zucchini will yield the 1.5 cups that we need for the recipe.
- Whole Wheat Flour- All purpose flour can be used instead
- Cocoa Powder
- Espresso Powder- You can substitute ½ teaspoon of instant coffee or leave it out
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sea Salt
- Chocolate Chips- I typically use dark chocolate chips or occasionally cacao nibs. Feel free to substitute or have a combination of white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts or other favorite add ins. You can increase the amount up to 1 cup
- Coconut Oil- You can substitute vegetable or canola oil
- Plain Yogurt- Any type of plain yogurt will work- Balkan, Greek, Skyr. Or substitute sour cream
- White Sugar
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix together wet ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in zucchini and pour into a loaf pan.
- Bake and enjoy!
Store leftover loaf in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Serve Chocolate Zucchini Bread
A slice of this bread is such a tasty snack on its own! Or try it:
- With a scoop of ice cream
- Topped with almond butter or peanut butter (or as the bread in a PB and J!)
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and ½ cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9x5 (or 8x4) loaf pan and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, espresso powder and chocolate chips. Whisk to combine.
- Add the coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave until melted. Whisk in the yogurt and sugar followed by the eggs and continue to stir until well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add the shredded zucchini and with a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in to combine.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out mostly clean or the center of the loaf bounces back when pressed.
More Sweets and Treats!
This bread is so, so good! I love how the espresso powder really brought out the chocolate flavor, and the zucchini made it super moist.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Amanda!
My mother in law makes the best zucchini bread but never wanted to share her recipe hahah. This one tastes so close to hers, thank you so much for sharing 🙂
Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Cathleen!
This was the perfect way to use up some zucchini from our garden! So good topped with ice cream!
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Emily!
This super moist chocolate zucchini bread is going to be a huge hit in my house! Yummy!
Thank you for your kind review, Andrea!
I love that this recipe used whole wheat flour! It was the perfect excuse to eat two slices at a time!
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Liz!