Plenty of maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and oats make this my favorite recipe for Apple Crisp! It is much simpler than a pie and arguably as good. Plus it can be made ahead so it is a great dessert to make if you are having company.
- Apples- Use any kind or a combination of kinds; depending on the sweetness, you may need to add more maple syrup. You need about 4 large apples which will yield 6 cups sliced. I like to slice them around ¼ inch thick, but you can vary the sizes in order to add some texture. Peeling the apples is optional.
- Maple Syrup- You can use honey or brown sugar instead for the filling but maple is really tasty with apple!
- Lemon Juice- Adds a little freshness and helps to prevent the apples from browning if you make it ahead. It can definitely be left out.
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter- Unsalted or salted butter will work.
- Brown Sugar
- Large Flake Oats- Quick oats will also work. The texture of the crumble topping will be slightly different but still delicious!
- Oat Flour- To make your own oat flour, pulse ¾ cup of large flake or quick oats in a blender until they are the consistency of flour. You can also substitute with almond flour, whole wheat flour or all purpose flour.
- Sea Salt
- Mix together filling.
- Combine ingredients for topping.
- Pour topping over filling.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve!
You can assemble the apple crisp in advance. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator prior to baking.
Store leftover apple crisp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Eat cold, at room temperature or reheated. You can reheat it in the microwave or in the oven at 350 F for 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
Apple Crisp Serving Suggestions
Eat this dessert all on its own or top it with:
- Cream or Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free - If you use coconut oil in place of butter.
- Gluten Free
- Vegan - if you use coconut oil in place of butter
- This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Or you can halve the recipe and bake it in a loaf pan.
And if you liked this...
...you might like these recipes!
- 2 lbs apples chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup large flake rolled oats
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a 7x11 inch or similar size baking dish, combine all of the ingredients for the filling.
- In a medium, microwave safe bowl, melt the butter for 30 seconds. Add remaining topping ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour crumble topping evenly over filling and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Serve.
More Dessert Recipes!