Although I like Homemade Cranberry Sauce, this Cranberry Crisp might be my new favourite way to eat cranberries!
Maple, berry filling topped with a buttery oat and brown sugar streusel- yes please!
Adapted from my favorite Apple Crisp recipe, this crumble dessert takes almost no time to pull together. You don't have to do any chopping, you only dirty one bowl and yet it looks and tastes like a special treat!
This cranberry dessert is perfect for holidays and festive occasions, especially if you want an alternative to classics such as pumpkin pie.
But since it is so quick and easy (and delicious!), I don't see any reason why it can't be enjoyed any time.
- Cranberries- You need one 12 oz (340 g) bag of fresh cranberries which is about 6 cups. Frozen cranberries will also work.
- Maple Syrup- Honey could be used but I highly recommend maple syrup as the maple flavour is great with the cranberries!
- Butter- Either salted or unsalted butter will work. Or you can use coconut oil or walnut oil to make this dairy free.
- Large Flake Rolled Oats- You can also use quick oats. The texture of the crumble topping will be slightly different but still delicious!
- Oat Flour- You can make your own oat flour- pulse ¾ cup of large flake or quick oats in a blender until they are the consistency of flour. You can also substitute with almond flour, whole wheat flour or all purpose flour.
- Brown Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Mix together filling. This can be done right in the baking pan to save a dish!
- Combine ingredients for topping. Melt the butter in a medium bowl. Add the remaining topping ingredients and mix until well combined. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Pour topping over filling. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling.
- Bake. The crisp is done when the cranberries are soft and bubbling and the topping is lightly golden.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve! Cooling for 5 minutes allows the filling to thicken slightly before serving.
Make Ahead: You can assemble the crisp in advance. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator prior to baking.
To Store: Store leftover crisp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Eat cold, at room temperature or reheated. You can reheat it in the microwave or in the oven at 350 F for 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
Make it Your Own
- Apple Cranberry Crisp- Replace 2 cups of the cranberries with 2 cups of chopped apples.
- Cranberry Pear Crisp- Replace 2 cups of cranberries with 2 cups of chopped fresh pear.
- Orange Cranberry Crisp- Add the zest of 1 orange to the filling.
- Cranberry Nut Crisp- Add ¼ cup of roughly chopped, raw nuts such as walnuts, almonds or pecans to the topping mixture.
What to Serve with Cranberry Crumble
Try this crisp on its own or topped with:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Heavy Cream or Whipped Cream
- Chopped, toasted nuts such as Almonds, Pecans or Pistachios
Want to make a Small Batch Crisp or Feed a Crowd?
This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Or you can halve the recipe and bake it in a loaf pan.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free- If you use coconut oil in place of butter.
- Gluten Free- If you ensure your oats and oat flour are certified GF.
- Vegan- If you use coconut oil in place of butter.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 1 and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup large flake rolled oats
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a 7x11 inch or similar size baking dish, combine all of the ingredients for the filling.
- In a medium, microwave safe bowl, melt the butter for 30 seconds. Add remaining topping ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour crumble topping evenly over filling and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Serve.
More Delicious Desserts!