These Turkey Cranberry Sandwiches with brie are the perfect way to use your leftover Thanksgiving (or Christmas) turkey. With tart cranberry sauce, crunchy walnuts and creamy brie, this easy sandwich may just end up being your new favorite recipe to use up your extra slices of turkey.
Hands up if you believe Thanksgiving leftovers are better than the actual Thanksgiving dinner!
While I won't deny that a Thanksgiving meal is delicious, let's be honest. I'm usually just there for the sides.
And one of the main reasons that I find it worthwhile to go through the work of cooking a turkey is to be able to enjoy a leftover turkey sandwich for a great lunch on multiple days in a row.
Until I get sick of them.
Which I don't.
And while this pesto turkey sandwich may give today's handheld a run for it's money in the category of best turkey sandwich, I generally try to not pick favorites.
Instead, I hope to have enough leftover turkey slices to spare so that I can enjoy all of my favorite sandwiches in the holiday season and beyond.
- Bread- I typically like to use sprouted multi grain bread for sandwiches but feel free to use sourdough or another favorite. This Honey Oat Bread is also great a great option!
- Butter- Salted or unsalted butter will work.
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce- Canned cranberry sauce will also work but if you haven't ever tried making your own, I highly recommend it!
- Walnuts- Toasted and roughly chopped nuts add some nice flavor and crunch. Almonds or pecans would also be great or they can be left out.
- Baby Spinach- Some peppery arugula would also be tasty or it can be left out.
- Turkey- I love using leftover roast turkey breast for these sandwiches but deli turkey also works. Chicken could also be used.
- Brie Cheese
1. Assemble. Butter the outside of your slices of bread. Then, on the second side of the first bread slice, spread 2 tablespoon of leftover cranberry sauce and sprinkle the walnuts evenly over top. Next add the spinach and then layer turkey on top. Finally, add your slices of cheese and the second piece of bread.
2. Cook. Place the assembled sandwich in a non-stick skillet over low to medium heat and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden on the bottom. Carefully flip the sandwich and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts and the second slice of bread is lightly browned.
Leftovers and Storage
This Cranberry Turkey Brie Sandwich is best enjoyed immediately after making so I recommend making and enjoying it fresh. However, it can be enjoyed leftover too.
To Store: Allow to cool completely on a wire rack so that it doesn't get soggy and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To Reheat: For best results, reheat in a frying pan over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through until warmed.
Make It Your Own
- Use Cream Cheese- Instead of brie, this tasty sandwich would also be great with 1.5 ounces (2-3 tbsp) of cream cheese spread on the inside of the top piece of bread.
- Add Avocado- Mash up ¼ of an avocado and spread it over the turkey.
- Add Red Onion- 1 tablespoon of thinly sliced red onion would add a bit of bite to the sandwich.
- Make it Gluten Free- Use your favorite gluten free bread.
Try some heated up extra gravy for dipping on the side for dipping if you have it- yum!
If you're looking for some ideas of what to serve alongside, these cranberry turkey sandwiches pair well with:
- Pumpkin Soup
- Crispy Baked Fries
- Mixed Berry Spinach Salad
- Or check out this post of 34 Delicious and Healthy Sides to Serve with Sandwiches for more ideas!
Yes! Fully assemble your sandwich set your panini press to medium low heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the outsides are lightly toasted golden and the cheese is melted. Time may vary depending on your panini press model.
There are so many delicious spreads that pair well with turkey besides mayo! Cranberry sauce is great for a holiday flavor. Pesto or Chimichurri add plenty of freshness to a turkey sandwich while Santa Fe Ranch is a delicious creamy option.
For even more ideas, check out this post with 23 Healthy Spreads for Your Sandwich.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked these sandwiches...
...you might also like:
Cranberry Turkey Sandwich with Brie
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 2 teaspoon butter softened
- 2 tablespoon Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 2 tablespoon walnuts toasted and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh baby spinach
- 3.5 oz roasted turkey breast sliced
- 1.5 oz brie sliced (about 3 slices)
- Butter the outside of each piece of bread with one teaspoon of butter. Spread the inside of one piece of bread with the cranberry sauce. Sprinkle the chopped, toasted walnuts evenly over the cranberry sauce. Next, layer the spinach, followed by the turkey, brie and finally the other piece of bread.
- Place the sandwich in non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and cook for 3-4 minutes and then flip. Cook for an addition 2-3 minutes until lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.
More Sandwiches and Handhelds!