There's just something about a grilled cheese sandwich. The buttery toasted outside. The warm and gooey cheese inside. The childhood lunch nostalgia...
And although there will always be a special place in my heart (or tastebuds?) for a simple grilled cheese, it might have to move aside for this Chimichurri Chicken Sandwich!
The addition of shredded chicken tossed with Quick and Easy Chimichurri adds a whole new layer of delicious. Honestly, I probably ate a whole sandwich worth of just this mixture- it is SO GOOD. (If you're not a fan of seafood, it would be an excellent substitute to the shrimp in these Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls!).
If you're not familiar with the flavor of Chimichurri, it is made with fresh parsley, garlic and olive oil so using it on the sandwiches gives them a flavor almost as though they were made on garlic bread!
- Bread- I typically use sprouted wheat bread or Honey Oat Bread for sandwiches. You can use whatever you like best! Use a gluten free bread if needed.
- Butter- The key for the buttery toasted outside. Salted or unsalted butter will work.
- Chicken- This is a great tutorial for shredded chicken.
- Chimichurri- This chimichurri recipe is super quick to whip up! Plus it freezes wonderfully so you can keep extra on hand to make these sandwiches any time.
- Mozzarella- I used Mozzarella cheese to make these just because it was what we had at the time. Provolone, Havarti or mild Cheddar would also be good options!
1. Mix chicken and chimichurri.
2. Assemble sandwiches. Butter the outside of 2 pieces of bread. On the first piece, layer they Chimichurri chicken (on the un-buttered side!),cheese and the second piece of bread.
3. Cook. Place the sandwiches in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Cover and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until the bottom piece is lightly golden brown. Carefully flip the sandwiches, cover and cook for 2-3 additional minutes until the cheese is melted. You can push down on the sandwiches with a back of a spatula if you would like them flattened.
Make Ahead: Chimichurri can be made ahead of time and is freezer friendly. The shredded chicken mixture can be made up to two days in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Storage: Sandwiches are best enjoyed when assembled fresh. But you can store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To Reheat: Leftovers can be eaten cold or reheated. Reheat in the microwave or in a frying pan for 1-2 minutes per side.
Make it Your Own!
Some ideas to change up these Chimichurri Chicken Sandwiches:
- Include Spinach
- Add Caramelized Onions
- Top with a Fresh Sliced Tomato
Can I use shredded cheese? You bet! You will need about ⅓ cup shredded.
Could I make these in a panini press? Yep! Cook them on medium and watch them closely as all appliances are a bit different.
What to Serve with these Chimichurri Sandwiches
To really round out the meal, these sandwiches would be delicious accompanied with any of these sides!
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Gluten Free - If you use Gluten Free Bread.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like these other handhelds!
Chimichurri Chicken Sandwich
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 2 teaspoon butter
- ¼ cup chicken shredded
- 1 tablespoon Chimichurri
- 1 oz mozzarella cheese sliced (2 slices)
- Prepare a large skillet.
- In a small bowl, add the chimichurri to the chicken and mix until evenly coated.
- Butter the outside of each piece of bread with about one teaspoon and place one piece butter side down in the skillet. Top with the chimichurri chicken mixture followed by the cheese and second piece of bread (buttered side out).
- Cover and cook on medium low heat until the bread is lightly browned and cheese is mostly melted, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwich and cook 2-3 more minutes until the second piece of bread is lightly toasted and the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve immediately.
More Sandwiches and Handhelds!