Looking for something fresh to add to your meal rotation? These Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls might be just what you need!
They are a perfect example of the kind of recipe you want for busy weeknights. You don’t even have to cut anything!
If you can mix coleslaw with dressing, cook rice and fry shrimp, you can have these fresh and delicious bowls in 30 minutes! Even less if you have already have Chimichurri on hand.
- Rice- Any kind of rice that you like works!
- Coleslaw- I like to use prechopped bags of coleslaw mix in order to make this a quick meal. You can substitute 6 cups of chopped cabbage and carrots instead. Or feel free to use a broccoli slaw or kale slaw mix.
- Chimichurri- This recipe requires parsley, garlic and a few pantry ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to make. It’s also freezer friendly so you could double it and have some on hand for the next time that you want to make these bowls.
- Shrimp- I like to use smaller shrimp (51-60 count) but any size will work. Be sure to peel and devein prior to cooking.
- Olive Oil- Another neutral oil or butter will also work for cooking the shrimp.
- Prepare the rice. Cook according to package directions.
- Mix together coleslaw and chimichurri. Use 3-4 tablespoon of the chimichurri and mix into the coleslaw until well combined. (See this slaw recipe for more details and variations!)
- Cook the shrimp. I typically just fry the shrimp but you could also grill, boil or steam them if you prefer. Once the shrimp are cooked, toss them with a bit of a Chimichurri sauce and they are ready.
- Assemble bowls. Place rice into a bowl, top with some shrimp, slaw and additional sauce as desired.
To Store: Store leftover shrimp and rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Store leftover coleslaw mixture in a separate airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To Reheat: Reheat leftover shrimp and rice in the microwave until warmed through. Top with remaining slaw and additional sauce as desired.
Make it Your Own!
- Quinoa Chimichurri Bowls- Use quinoa in place of the rice.
- Chimichurri Chicken Bowls- Cook and shred or dice 1 lb chicken breast and use in place of the shrimp.
- Low Carb Bowls- Use cauliflower rice.
- Easy Chimichurri Shrimp Salad- Double the coleslaw and omit the rice.
- Chimichurri Shrimp Tacos- Instead of serving on a bed of rice, try eating this Chimichurri shrimp and slaw on fresh corn tortillas!
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
- Paleo - If you use cauliflower rice in place of rice.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Gallo Pinto (Costa Rican Rice and Beans)
- Egg Roll Bowls
- Lemon Herb Shrimp Rice Skillet
- Beef and Broccoli Bowls
Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls
- 2 cups rice uncooked
- ½ cup Chimichurri
- 1 lb bag coleslaw mix about 6-8 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
Make the rice:
- Prepare the rice according to package directions.
Make the slaw:
- Combine coleslaw with 3 tablespoon of chimichurri and set aside.
Prepare the shrimp:
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Add olive oil and shrimp in a single layer. Cook 2-3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until pink.
- Remove shrimp to a bowl, add 2 tablespoon chimichurri and mix to ensure shrimp are evenly coated.
- Spoon rice into bowl, followed by shrimp and slaw. Top with additional sauce and enjoy.
More Quick Dinner Ideas!