With a cook time of less than 20 minutes, and filled with fresh flavor, this Chimichurri Shrimp Bowl is a healthy recipe that is perfect for an easy dinner or meal prep. Rice, crunchy slaw and shrimp are tossed with a zesty herb sauce in this delicious dish.
Hands up if you're looking for different options to add some excitement to your dinner routine.
This Chimichurri rice and shrimp recipe might be the easy meal you were looking for.
Full of fresh flavor (almost as fresh as pineapple salsa!), this great recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and the best part is, it requires ZERO chopping.
The whole family can just each assemble their own bowl so serving it is extra easy.
So let's make some Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls!
- Rice- You can use white rice, brown rice or even cauliflower rice. Or if you have leftover rice, you can simply reheat it.
- Slaw- I like to use prechopped bags of broccoli slaw mix as they are a great way to make this a quick meal that is still packed with a variety of fresh veggies. You can use regular coleslaw mix or substitute 6 cups of chopped cabbage and carrots instead.
- Chimichurri- This recipe requires parsley, garlic and a few pantry ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to make. It’s also freezer friendly so you could double it and have some on hand for the next time that you want to make these bowls (or you can use the extras to make other delicious recipes like Chimichurri sandwiches). If you're in a hurry, you could use sauce from the grocery store.
- Shrimp- I like to use smaller (~30-40 count), peeled and deveined shrimp for ease. If you buy shell on shrimp, ensure that you peel and devein it before making the recipe.
- Avocado Oil- Another neutral oil or butter will also work for cooking the shrimp.
1. Prepare Rice. Cook the rice in a rice cooker or your preferred method as per package directions. For extra flavor, you can mix it with Chimichurri like in this rice recipe.
2. Prepare Slaw. In a large bowl, mix together ¼ cup of the Chimichurri with the slaw vegetables. (See this slaw recipe for more details and variations!)
3. Cook Shrimp. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the raw shrimp in a medium layer and cook for 2-3 minutes, until cooked through. Once the shrimp cooks, toss them with in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of Chimichurri sauce.
4. Assemble. Simply place rice into a bowl, top with some sautéed shrimp, slaw, additional Chimichurri sauce (my favorite part!) and fresh herbs, as desired.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover shrimp and rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Store leftover slaw mixture in a separate airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To Reheat: For an easy lunch, reheat leftover shrimp and rice in the microwave until warmed through. Top with remaining slaw and additional sauce as desired.
Make it Your Own
- Change Up the Grain- If you'd like, you can use quinoa, farro or cauliflower rice (for a low carb option) instead.
- Make it into a Salad- Or if you'd like to skip the base, a great option is to double the slaw and omit the rice.
- Switch out the Protein- Cook and shred 1 pound of chicken breast (about 2), toss it with 2 tablespoon of Chimichurri (like in these Chimichurri sandwiches) and use it in place of the shrimp.
- Use Different Veggies- Feel free to swap in other chopped fresh vegetables in place of the slaw such as lettuce, spinach, peppers or radishes.
- Chimichurri Shrimp Tacos- If tacos are one of your favorite things (like they are for me) try eating this Chimichurri shrimp and slaw on fresh corn tortillas instead of rice.
Garnish this shrimp bowl recipe with your favorite toppings, such as:
- Fresh Cilantro, Parsley or Green Onions
- Cracked Black Pepper and a pinch of Sea Salt
- Additional Sauce
And a slice of Sourdough Garlic Bread is a great addition to any meal!
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Gallo Pinto (Costa Rican Rice and Beans)
- Egg Roll Bowls
- Lemon Herb Shrimp Rice Skillet
- Beef and Broccoli Bowls
Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls
- 1 and ½ cups rice uncooked
- ½ cup Chimichurri
- 1 lb bag broccoli slaw or coleslaw mix about 6-8 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
Make the rice:
- Prepare the rice according to package directions.
Make the slaw:
- Combine coleslaw with 4 tablespoon of Chimichurri and set aside.
Prepare the shrimp:
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Add olive oil and shrimp in a single layer. Cook 2-3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until pink.
- Remove shrimp to a bowl, add 2 tablespoon Chimichurri and mix to ensure shrimp are evenly coated.
- Spoon rice into bowl, followed by shrimp and slaw. Top with additional sauce and enjoy.