Swap out your classic coleslaw recipe for this Chimichurri version! Filled with crunchy vegetables and using fresh Chimichurri as the dressing, this slaw makes a great side dish or topping for tacos, burrito bowls and more.
If you've made my Lemon Tahini Slaw, then you might already know just how averse I am to traditional coleslaw dressing.
The mayo, the vinegar, the touch of sweetness that just seems out of place. No thanks.
I'll eat my pulled pork all on it's own before I'll consider subjecting it to those flavors.
But top those same slaw vegetables with some Chimichurri and now we're talking!
Light and fresh, herby and garlicky. Now that's a perfect match for those crunchy vegetables (as it is for chicken in these sandwiches!).
Great as a quick and easy side dish, it is also ah-mazing as a topping on tacos!
I hope you decide to give this bright slaw a try.
- Coleslaw- You can use a pre-chopped mix from the grocery store (a great time saver!) or make your own with:
- Carrots- Cut 2 cups into thin matchsticks or shred.
- Cabbage- Shred 6 cups of a combination of red, white and green cabbage for a colorful blend.
- Other Vegetables- See below in the "Make it Your Own" section for ideas of other vegetables to add.
- Fresh Parsley- Trim off the stems
- Red Wine Vinegar- Balsamic or white wine vinegar will also taste great but aren't what you would traditionally find it made with.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- A mild avocado oil will also work.
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Dried Oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes
1. Make Chimichurri. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and use an immersion blender to blend smooth or process in a food processor or high speed blender.
2. Mix. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots and any other vegetables being used. Pour the chimichurri on top and stir until evenly coated. Garnish with additional fresh parsley.
Leftovers and Storage
Make Ahead: The chimichurri can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator. The vegetables can be chopped, mixed and kept in the refrigerator up to 1 day in advance.
To Store: Dressed leftovers of this slaw can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Undressed, the slaw and Chimichurri can be stored separately in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Make it Your Own
Change Up the Slaw Vegetables- Keep it simple with just a mix of raw cabbage and carrots or try adding some of these other vegetables for more variety. (Note: If you exceed 8 cups total, you may want to increase the amount of Chimichurri used.):
- Red Onions
- Snap Peas
- Bell Pepper
- Green Onions
Garnish by topping with:
- Additional Fresh Herbs such as green onions or cilantro
- Toasted Chopped Nuts
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
This tasty chimichurri slaw recipe is great with:
- Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls (or this Chimichurri Rice)
- Sugar Free Pulled Pork (A fun flavor in place of traditional coleslaw)
- Tacos (like these Pork Carnitas)
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 8 cups pre-chopped coleslaw mix or a combination of 6 cups shredded cabbage and 2 cups chopped carrots
Chimichurri (You Need ½ cup- half a batch)
- 1 bundle fresh parsley
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add all of the Chimichurri ingredients to a bowl and blend to your desired consistency using a hand blender. Alternatively, combine everything in a food processor or blender.
- In a large bowl, mix together your chopped vegetables (if not using a pre-chopped mix). Add ½ cup of Chimichurri, and toss until evenly coated.
- Taste and add additional sauce to taste. Top with any garnishes and serve.