Pork Carnitas is a type of pulled pork that originates from Mexico. It is full of flavor and is delicious in tacos, burrito bowls, on salads or nachos and more. And it is incredibly easy to make!
Pork Roast- This recipe is pretty forgiving with the type of roast that you choose to use as long as it is boneless. Fattier roasts typically yield less dry results but I have made this recipe with tenderloin and it turned out great as well.
Chili Powder, Cumin, Sea Salt, Oregano and Black Pepper- This mixture of spices gives the carnitas their taco flavor.
Cinnamon- Don’t leave this out- it provides a key flavor to the carnitas.
Onion and Garlic- These cook and soften into the meat and add a lot of flavor.
Orange Juice and Lime Juice- These provide our cooking liquid and are also key to the carnitas flavor. You'll need about 1 large orange and 1 lime freshly squeezed or use bottled for convenience.
- Place the meat in the bottom of a slow cooker and top with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low.
- Shred and Serve!
You can get everything ready in the pot of the slow cooker up to 1 day before. Refrigerator overnight and then place it in the base in the morning and turn it on.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. For best results, reheat on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 for 5-10 minutes until heated through, then broil for an additional minute to get some crispy edges. You can also reheat it in the microwave.
How to Serve Pork Carnitas
- Try this carnitas meat piled into tortillas and topped with Pineapple Salsa or Corn and Black Bean Salsa for some tasty tacos! This quick and Easy Salsa would also be a great topping!
- Use this as you meat in burritos or burrito bowls.
- Substitute it for the chicken in these White Cheddar Nachos.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Ground Beef Tacos
- White Chicken Chili
- White Cheddar Chicken Nachos
- Chinese-Inspired Barbecue Pulled Pork
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- 3 lb boneless pork roast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Place the pork roast in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Sprinkle seasonings evenly over top of the pork, top with onions and garlic and pour in the juices.
- Cover and let cook on the "LOW" setting for 8-12 hours. After 8-10 hours, shred with a fork and allow to continue to cook so that it soaks up some the juices.
- Optional: Transfer the meat to sheet pan and broil in the oven for 2-4 minutes so that the edges start to get crispy.
- Serve warm in tacos, burrito bowls, sandwiches or however else you would like!
More tasty Meal Ideas!
My boyfriend loves carnitas so of course I had to make this for him and he loved it!! So delicious and really easy recipe to make, thank you for sharing this with us!
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Cam!
Yum! Great looking carnitas for tacos - fabulous idea for taco Tuesday.
Thank you for your kind review, Biana.
Renee | The Good Hearted Woman
This is one of our favorite easy, make-ahead meals! Not only are these pork carnitas delicious, but it makes the meat go a long way, too. The orange juice brings so much flavor to the plate: we added a little zest to ours for an extra citrus bump.
Love the idea of adding a bit of zest! Thank you for your kind review, Renee.
This is my new favorite recipe for pork carnitas!! Every once in a while, I get a craving for nachos with pork. This recipe really helped elevate that.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Tara!