If I had to pick one food to eat for the rest of my life, I think it might be tacos. Fish, chicken, pork, beef, vegetable- I don't think I would ever get bored because you can make them so many different ways!
My love for tacos began as a kid. I was always extra excited for supper when Mom said that was what we were having! Our typical spread was always ground beef tacos (ground beef mixed with taco seasoning), chopped lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa and hard taco shells. Are you a hard or soft taco shell person?
I was probably a teenager before I even knew about soft taco shells and I personally couldn't pick a favorite.
Anyhow, back to today's ground beef tacos which are everything I loved about my childhood tacos but... BETTER! The addition of sautéed onions, peppers and garlic, tomato paste for some extra flavor, sweet bursts of corn and using homemade taco seasoning really take ground beef tacos up a level!
Plus, they are actually pretty easy to make! Like ready in under an hour and only use one dish easy. So you can have these for Taco Tuesday even if you work all day Tuesday and don't have a lot of time!
I really hope you decide to give these a try!
- Olive Oil- Feel free to use another neutral cooking oil
- Bell Peppers- Use whatever colours you like best.
- Lean Ground Beef- We have also made these with ground turkey and chicken.
- Tomato Paste
- Taco Seasoning- I recommend whipping up a batch of this to always have on hand but you can use whatever taco seasoning mixture you like best. Feel free to adjust the amount to suit your tastes.
- Paprika- Smoked, regular or even hot will all work.
- Sea Salt- You may need to add more depending on the taco seasoning you use and whether or not it has salt in.
- Corn- I typically use frozen corn- no need to thaw. You can use one small can of corn instead or leave it out completely.
- Sauté onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add beef and cook through, stirring and crumbling.
- Stir in tomato paste and seasonings.
- Add corn and cook until heated through.
Store leftover ground beef tacos mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Serve these Ground Beef Tacos
- Serve them as tacos in homemade corn tortillas with all of your favorite fixings! Some suggestions:
- Make bowls! Cook up some rice and layer the beef mixture on it with all of your favorite taco toppings. Or skip the rice and serve it over greens. I like to do this with the leftovers!
- Scoop it up with tortilla chips
Ways to Change up these Ground Beef Tacos
- Spicier- add a finely chopped jalapeno in the same step as the bell peppers.
- Add black beans- add one can of black beans at the same time as the seasonings. Add an additional tablespoon of taco seasoning.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Paleo- If you omit the corn.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Chorizo Rice Skillet
- My Favorite Pork Carnitas
- Nacho Chicken
- White Cheddar Chicken Nachos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 bell peppers finely chopped, about 2 cups
- 3 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tbsp
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 and ½ tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onion, peppers and garlic. Sauté, stirring often for about 10 minutes until nearly softened.
- Add the ground beef and stir, breaking into pieces until cooked through, about 10 additional minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the corn.
- Allow to cook uncovered for about 5 more minutes until the corn is heated through and most of the juices have evaporated.
- Serve with tortillas and desired taco toppings!
More Quick Meals!