Next time you need a an easy topping for tacos, a pleasing appetizer for guests or just want a mid day snack, look no farther than this Easy Salsa!
Adapted from the sauce in this Huevos Rancheros recipe, this restaurant style salsa comes together in less than 5 minutes! You only need 6 ingredients, the food processor (or blender) does nearly all of the work and you can customize it to suit your tastes! Love cilantro? Add more. Hate it? Leave it out. Want it spicier? Double the jalapeño. It’s up to you!
- Tomatoes- I typically use canned whole tomatoes but diced would work too. Canned fire roasted tomatoes would also be delicious! If using smaller cans (14 oz or 398 mL), use two or make a half batch.
- Cilantro- If you’re not a fan of cilantro, this salsa is also tasty without! Or if you really like it, feel free to double the amount.
- Onion- The onion flavour tends to be stronger on the day that it is made and mellows out after sitting, but if you’re not a big fan of onion you may want to use half of an onion instead.
- Jalapeño- Be sure to remove the seeds. If you are sensitive to spice, you can use half or leave it out entirely. Or if you would like to make the salsa spicier, add more.
- Sea Salt- Taste and stir in more if needed.
- Sweetener (Optional)- Depending on the flavour of the tomatoes, you may find you want to add about 1 teaspoon of sugar or agave syrup. Make the salsa, taste it and then stir it in if needed (I don’t usually find it necessary).
- Pulse ingredients in a food processor.
- Taste and add seasoning if necessary. You may want to stir in additional salt or add some sweetener (see notes above).
- Chill and serve! You can serve it right away or chill and give the flavours time to develop.
Make Ahead- This quick salsa can be made up to 2 days in advance. It actually tastes even better on day 2 so it is a great recipe to prepare ahead if you are entertaining!
Storage- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Make It Your Own
Customize this easy salsa to suit your preferences! You could make it:
- Spicier- Add an additional jalapeño or use just one but don’t remove the seeds
- Thicker- Reserve the juices from the canned tomatoes
- Fresher- Add the juice of 1 lime
No Food Processor? You can also use a regular blender. Pulse in a blender until it reaches your desired consistency. Don’t worry if it turns out a bit thin, it will still be delicious!
How to Serve
This quick homemade salsa is great for dipping with tortilla chips or even freshly cut vegetables. I like to use carrots and radishes cut into round “chips”. It is also an excellent topping on tacos or burrito bowls such as Ground Beef Tacos or Pork Carnitas. Or try it with these White Cheddar Chicken Nachos!
And if you have leftovers, use them to top scrambled eggs or an omelette. Or make some Huevos Rancheros (you would need about 2 cups).
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe…
… you might like these other Snack-able Dips!
- 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes with their juices
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 (~5 oz) medium yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt plus additional to taste
- Place the canned tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, garlic and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until desired consistency is reached, about 1-2 minutes. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Serve immediately or for best flavour, chill for 24 hours.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes!