In our house, this Cashew Queso Dip mostly gets made on days when we're hungry, looking for a snack and it seems we don't have much for options.
Days when we look in the pantry and there aren't any Crispy Roasted Chickpeas ready, we've already eaten all of our Crunchy Peanut Butter Snack Bars and an Avocado Blueberry Smoothie just doesn't seem like it will hit the spot.
And then I remember that we always have raw cashews on hand, there are usually carrots in the fridge for dipping and voila, 10 minutes later we are eating this delicious snack! "Hanger" averted.
However, this Healthy Queso is much too delicious to reserve strictly for snack emergencies!
It is also a great appetizer or as a topping for burritos, tacos, eggs and more.
- Cashews- It is important to use raw cashews as roasted cashews won’t achieve the same creamy consistency.
- Water- Using hot water helps to soften the cashews for a creamy dip (and makes the dip warm for serving). Alternatively you can soak the cashews overnight.
- Garlic- You could use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- Hot Sauce- I usually use Sriracha but another hot sauce such as Frank’s would also work. If using a different hot sauce (or if you are sensitive to spice), use half of the amount to start and then add more to taste. You can always add more but you can’t take it out!
- Chili Powder- Use chili powder spice mixture (a blend of spices including cumin, garlic powder, paprika) for this recipe, not just ground chili peppers.
- Sea Salt
How to Make Healthy Queso Dip
- Place ingredients in the bowl of a blender. For best results, allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the hot water to soften the cashews before blending.
- Blend until creamy. Taste and add additional hot sauce to suit your tastes.
Make Ahead: This cashew queso can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
To Store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To Reheat: This dip is also great cold. But if you would like to serve it warm, you can microwave in 30 second bursts (stirring in between) or heat in a sauce pan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
How to Serve
This vegan queso is delicious served warm or cold. It is warm when initially blended or it can be reheated if serving later. See above for instructions.
This is a great dip for tortilla chips or freshly cut vegetables. Serve it alongside Easy Salsa, Guacamole and Beet Hummus for the ultimate chips and dips tray!
It would also be tasty drizzled on scrambled eggs, as a sauce for a sandwich or even as a salad dressing.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Paleo - If you use a compliant hot sauce.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Quick Cashew Queso
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or similar hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a high powered blender and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more water if needed. Taste and add additional hot sauce if preferred.
- Serve immediately for a warm dip or place in the refrigerator for at least one hour to serve chilled.
More Snack-able Appetizers!
Ohh this is such a yummy dip! I love the light seasoning and am totally guilty of eating it right out of the fridge!
Haha, same here! I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Shelby.
This is going to be perfect for upcoming celebrations! Savory and filled with wonderful spices.... We love trying new dips!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe, Savannah!
This is the perfect dip for my vegan friends!
I love this dairy-free version of queso dip! Such a brilliant idea to use the cashews as cheese.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Stacey! Thank you for your kind review.
This is an amazing dip! In fact I'm using this as a sandwich spread as well! Has become my go to recipe. Thanks so much
I'm glad you like this recipe, Sunrita! Thank you for your kind review.