When my sister and I were kids, we spent a lot of time at my Grandparents' farm. Our 3 favorite things about going to the farm?
- Their dog, Pepper
- The snacks
They had a room in the basement that we called the confectionary- and it had all the best snacks! To name a few- Grandma's canned raspberries (so good!), Bounty bars, maple sandwich cookies, Mike and Ikes and salted corn nuts!
We would easily polish off a package of corn nuts in a weekend.
These crispy roasted chickpeas remind me of those corn nuts but are much healthier. Baked and full of protein, they are a great snack when you are looking for something crunchy! They are also delicious as croutons in soup or on top of salads.
- Chickpeas- You can substitute 1 and ½ cups of dried chickpeas that have been cooked and cooled
- Olive Oil- You could use another neutral oil such as vegetable or canola if needed
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Dry the chickpeas.
- Season and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature (the key to crispy instead of burnt!) to 300 F and continue baking until crispy.
Store leftover Crispy Roasted Chickpeas in a container for up to 1 week. If they get soft, place on a baking sheet and roast at 300 F for 10-15 minutes until nice and crisp.
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas Variations
These Crispy Roasted Chickpeas are very lightly seasoned, so feel free to play around with different spices to make different flavours! Or try these Cajun Roasted Chickpeas for a spicier twist.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
Tips and Tricks
In order to dry the chickpeas, I rinse and drain them in a colander and then transfer them to the baking sheet and place it in the oven while it is preheating. I then remove the pan and let them cool enough to handle before seasoning them and proceeding with the recipe. Alternatively, you can dry the chickpeas in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
To make clean up easier, you can roast them on parchment paper.
And if you liked these roasted chickpeas...
...you might also like:
- 1 (19 mL) can chickpeas drained, rinsed and dried
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt plus additional to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare a large baking sheet.
- Add chickpeas to a large bowl and combine with oil and seasonings. Spread on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 minutes, removing to stir after each 10 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the oven temperature to 300 F. Continue to roast for 30 minutes, stirring after each 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
More Healthy Snacks!