This Loaded Avocado Chickpea Toast is one of my favorite brunch meals! Delicious, healthy and filling, this is exactly the type of breakfast that I like to start my day off with. It's super quick to make and the mixture stays good for a couple of days so you can make it ahead!
- Chickpeas- The recipe is written to make enough for just 4 slices so it only uses half a can of chickpeas. You can double the recipe in order to use up the whole can or use the other half of the can to make some Crispy Roasted Chickpeas. You can also use dried chickpeas that have been cooked and cooled.
- Sea Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Avocado- To serve two people, you only need ½ of an avocado. Feel free to make a double batch for later in the week or to use the rest to make a Blueberry Avocado Smoothie!
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spread on toast and top with desired toppings.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you are making it ahead and don't want the mixture to turn brown, mix up just the chickpeas and spices and then mash and add the avocado just before serving.
How to Serve
Try the mixture out on your favorite toast and top as desired. Some suggestions:
- Freshly diced tomatoes
- Finely chopped green or red onions
- Soft scrambled eggs
Or try it out on sweet potato toasts!
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free - If you serve it on gluten free bread, sweet potato toast or rice cakes.
- Nut Free
Tips and Tricks
If you don't have a food processor (or just don't want to have to clean one), you can mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and use either an immersion blender to combine (for a smooth consistency) or mash with a fork or potato masher. The mixture will be a chunkier this way but still delicious!
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- ¾ cup cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained (about ½ of 19 oz can)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes or black pepper
- ½ large avocado ripe
- 4 slices sprouted grain bread or bread of choice
For Serving (Optional):
- 4 eggs scrambled
- ½ cup fresh tomato diced, about 1 small tomato
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Add the chickpeas, seasonings and avocado to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Toast 4 slices of bread to desired level. Divide the avocado and chickpea mixture among the slices and spread evenly.
- If serving with scrambled eggs, cook the eggs as desired and place on top of the toasts.
- Serve immediately with diced tomato and green onions.