An easy way to enjoy healthy fats and protein, this Chickpea Avocado Toast Recipe makes a great breakfast or complete meal for any time of day! Smooth and creamy with less than 15 minutes of prep time, you'll love this hearty spin.
One of my go-to recipes, this simple dish is the kind that makes me feel like I've got life together. Whenever I make this for breakfast, I feel so accomplished before I even start my day. (Fed myself a wholesome meal- check!)
Because let's face it, sometimes being an adult is hard. I mean you have to feed yourself every day. Multiple times!
Even if you love to cook, sometimes time can be a bit tight. And there are no Egg White Bites left in the freezer. And you're hungry now.
So it's great to have recipes like this amazing avocado toast in your back pocket!
- Ripe Avocado
- Canned Chickpeas (AKA Garbanzo Beans)- You can also use dried chickpeas that have been cooked and cooled.
- Sea Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Sprouted Grain Bread- You can use your favourite bread or try it out on slices of this Honey Oat Bread too.
1. Combine. Add the avocado and seasonings to a medium bowl and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Add the chickpeas and blend smooth.
2. Assemble. Divide the mixture onto prepared pieces of toast (about 3-4 tablespoon per piece).
3. Enjoy! Top as desired.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (great to prep for a quick breakfast!). The mixture will start to turn brown but still be tasty. You can mix in a splash of lemon juice or lime juice to try to minimize the browning.
Make it Your Own
- Smashed Avocado Chickpea Toast- If you would like a chunkier mixture, you can skip the immersion blender and mash with a fork or potato masher instead.
- Avocado White Bean Toast- Use a can of white beans in place of the chickpeas.
- Add chopped red onion or cilantro- Finely chop and stir into the mixture.
Enjoy this healthy recipe all on its own for a great breakfast, quick lunch or light dinner. Delicious as it is, try taking it to the next level by loading it up with toppings. Some suggestions:
- Freshly diced cherry tomatoes
- Finely chopped green onions
- Soft scrambled eggs or a fried egg
- Feta cheese or cotija
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds
Try serving your avocado toast on sweet potato toasts, rice cakes, whole grain crackers or corn tortillas for an alternative to bread.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free - If you serve it on gluten free bread, sweet potato toast or rice cakes.
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Everything Bagel Casserole (For Two)
- Breakfast Fried Rice
- Huevos Rancheros
- 23 Healthy Spreads for Your Sandwich
Avocado Chickpea Toast
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or black pepper
- 1 (19 oz) can cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained (1 and ½ cups)
- 8 slices sprouted grain bread or bread of choice
- Place the avocado and seasonings in a medium bowl. Use an immersion blender and puree. Add the chickpeas and blend until smooth.
- Toast 8 slices of bread to desired level. Divide the mixture evenly among the slices (about 3-4 tablespoon per piece).
- Top as desired and serve immediately.