When we talk about weekend plans, the first order of business is always what we're going to make for brunch and this Everything Bagel Casserole is a regular in the rotation.
- Everything Bagel- You could also substitute another flavor such as cheddar, onion or plain. For best results, chop it up the night before and leave it out overnight. This way, it soaks up the milk and egg mixture better without becoming too soggy. If you are unable to prepare the bagels the day before and leave them out, chop them up and toast them in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes before using them in the recipe.
- Bell Pepper, Tomato and Onion- Feel free to substitute different vegetables- up to 1 and ½ cups total
- Bacon- Cook and crumble prior to using in this recipe. Or substitute breakfast sausage or ham or omit the meat completely.
- Cheese- Shredded cheddar, mozzarella or gouda are all great options.
- Milk- Dairy or non-dairy milk, cream or even a thin yogurt will work.
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Cream Cheese
- Everything Bagel Seasoning- Use a premade blend if you have it on hand or combine ½ tsp each poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried minced onion and dried minced garlic.
- Mix together bagel, vegetables, bacon and cheese in a loaf pan.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings and pour over loaf pan.
- Top with sliced cream cheese and bagel seasoning.
This Everything Bagel Casserole is best consumed immediately after making. However, if you do have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheated in the microwave.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Gluten Free- If you use a gluten free bagel.
- Vegetarian- If you omit the bacon.
Other Notes about Everything Bagel Casserole
This recipe is adapted to make just enough for 2 people but it can easily be doubled and made in a 9x9" or tripled and baked in a 9x13" dish.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 1 Everything Bagel cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ bell pepper (any colour) about ¾ cup chopped
- ½ cup tomato diced
- ½ small yellow onion about ¼ cup diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach roughly chopped
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and sliced plus additional for serving
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 oz cream cheese about 2 tbsp, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp each poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried minced onion, dried minced garlic or 2 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- 2 tablespoon green onions sliced, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a 9x4 inch loaf pan, mix together the bagel pieces, bell pepper, tomato, onion, spinach, bacon and shredded cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt and pepper and pour evenly over the loaf pan mixture.
- Top with the sliced cream cheese and seasonings.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm with chopped green onions and additional chopped bacon as desired.