Learn how to make homemade croutons any time you want them! In under 20 minutes and made with just 5 ingredients, they have a light garlic butter flavor. They are the perfect way to make a good soup or salad into something great!
- Bread- I often use this Honey Oat Bread but any favorite bread will work!
- Butter- Olive oil also works! Or for another tasty variation, try using leftover bacon grease.
- Fine Sea Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cut bread into cubes. Cut into your desired crouton size. I typically do about ¾ inch cubes. Smaller cubes may take less time than this recipe calls for and larger cubes may take more.
- Mix seasonings into melted butter.
- Pour butter mixture over bread cubes and stir to evenly coat.
- Spread cubes onto a sheet pan. For best results, ensure that your bread cubes are in a single layer and that the cubes aren't tightly packed together.
- Bake, stirring to flip partway through. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and then bake for 5 minutes more. These times might vary by a minute or two so be sure to keep a close eye on the croutons towards the end. You want the croutons to be lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Store leftover croutons in an airtight container or bag at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Ways to Use Homemade Croutons
These garlic butter croutons are an excellent topping on soups or salads. Try them out with this Simple Tomato Soup, Pumpkin Chicken Rice Soup or Pot Pie Soup!
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free- If you use olive oil in place of butter.
- Gluten Free- If you use a gluten free bread.
- Vegan- If you use olive oil in place of butter.
And if you enjoyed these croutons...
...you might also like:
Learn how to make homemade croutons any time you want them. Use your favorite bread to make buttery garlic croutons in 20 minutes!Print Pin Rate
- 2 slices bread (2 cups cubed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Cut bread into cubes.
- Mix together the melted butter, salt and garlic powder. Pour over the bread cubes and toss to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir/flip. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and then use.
Leftovers Store leftovers in an airtight bag at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 64kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 234mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 88IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg
Did you make this recipe?Let me know what you thought in the comments below!
More Homemade Staples!
These are really great croutons! They are so easy to make and taste so much better than the store-bought kind.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Mandy!
I can't believe I have never made croutons before!! Definitely going to be doing this tonight, thanks for the recipe 🙂
I hope you love them, Cathleen!
These croutons were great on our salad. Now I can make them whenever I want. Yay!
Thank you for your kind review, Kathleen!
This looks really delicious and fairly simple to make! Can't wait to try it out! thanks for the recipe 🙂
Thank you for your kind review, Suja!
I always end up with extra bread and this time I made them into croutons following your recipe. Love the butter flavor! Can't wait to make them again.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Ana!