The perfect side dish for so many great recipes, this sourdough garlic toast is made with just 4 simple ingredients. Using your favorite sourdough loaf imparts the best flavor and texture! Ready in under 10 minutes total, this will be your new go-to for serving with pasta, fish and more.
When it comes to side dishes, does it get any more perfect than garlic toast?
Crisp, buttery and herby on the outside, and soft, warm and chewy bread on the inside, it has the power to turn us all into garlic lovers.
With hundreds of different ways to make it- cheesy, toast style, loaf style, grilled, you name it- you could serve it with every meal (even breakfast- it would be unreal with a frittata!) and I would be unlikely to tire of it.
But the variation I love the most is this sourdough garlic bread recipe!
Thick slices of rustic sourdough bread are smothered with a herb and garlic butter mixture and toasted to perfection.
Next time you're wondering what to serve as a side dish, this is the answer. No matter what you're making.
- Sourdough Bread- Use your favorite loaf of sourdough bread or you can use a French bread loaf or this Honey Oat Bread instead. Slice into ¾ inch (about 1.5 cm) thick slices.
- Salted Butter- The butter will need to be at room temperature so that it is softened. If using unsalted butter, add ⅛ teaspoon of fine sea salt.
- Fresh Garlic- Raw cloves provide the best results for flavor but ½ teaspoon of garlic powder can be used if needed.
- Dried Parsley- This can be omitted if you don't have any on hand. Or you can use dried Italian seasoning, fresh parsley or other fresh herbs as well.
1. Mix garlic butter. In a small bowl, add the butter and parsley. Use a garlic press to add the raw garlic or finely mince the garlic with a knife and add it to the bowl. Stir together until combined.
2. Spread butter. Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner, aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place the sourdough bread slices onto the baking tray and spread with garlic herb butter on one side.
3. Bake. Place in an oven set to broil for 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the toast as it can go from toasted to burnt quickly!
Leftovers and Storage
Garlic toast is best served fresh! The garlic butter can be made ahead up to one week and stored in the refrigerator. When ready to make the toast, set out on the counter an hour before making the toast to allow it to soften.
To Store: If you do have leftover bread, store in an airtight container, plastic wrap or bag at room temperature for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Heat the leftover garlic bread in the oven or a toaster oven at 400 F for 1-2 minutes until warmed through. Homemade garlic bread is best enjoyed fresh though so I recommend only assembling as much as you plan to eat at the time rather than having leftovers.
Make it Your Own
- Butter Both Sides- For next level garlic toast, double the butter mixture and butter both sides of the bread. Broil for 3 minutes, then remove from the oven, flip and broil for 2-3 additional minutes.
- Add Parmesan- After broiling for 3 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle ½-1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese over each of the pieces of toast. Return to the oven to broil for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Cheesy Sourdough Garlic Bread- After 2 minutes of broiling, remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle 2 tablespoons each of shredded cheese over the pieces of bread. Cheddar, Mozzarella cheese, Monterey jack or a combination are some great options.
Sourdough Garlic Toast goes well with SO. MANY. THINGS! Try serving it alongside:
- Pasta. It is great for mopping up extra Turkey Spaghetti Sauce, delicious alongside Lasagna and perfect paired with Sautéed Spinach Pasta.
- Fish. Try it alongside Cajun Honey Butter Salmon or Herb Roasted Cod.
- Soup. Cheesy garlic bread and Potato Soup were made for each other.
- Almost anything else. Try serving garlic toast with a variety of main dishes such as Pork Chops, Bruschetta Chicken Sheet Pan, Italian Sausage and Rice Skillet or Santa Fe Salad.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like these delicious recipes:
Sourdough Garlic Toast
- 4 slices sourdough bread about ⅓ loaf
- 2 tablespoon salted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic and parsley.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner. Place the sourdough bread slices onto the baking tray and spread with garlic herb butter on one side.
- Place in an oven set to broil for 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the toast in the last couple of minutes as it can go from toasted to burnt quickly.