Plain rice gets an autumn twist with this flavorful pumpkin rice! With its warm and comforting flavors, this side dish is a great way to add some variety to your holiday season meals or any time.
As the air turns crisp and the leaves transform into an array of colors, there's no better way to embrace the spirit of fall than with all of your favorite pumpkin recipes.
But if you're looking for a different way to get your winter squash fix, you have to try this creamy rice.
With a similar consistency to this Lemon Herb Rice, this healthy dish is one of those amazing recipes that actually has an incredibly simple cooking process and is delicious served with almost anything.
- Brown Rice- White rice can be used as well, but you'll need to adjust the water amount used; see the "make it your own" section for details.
- Avocado oil- Olive oil, salted or unsalted butter could be used instead.
- Yellow Onion- White or purple onion will also work.
- Garlic- If you prefer, you can use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- Pumpkin Puree- Make sure you use real pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. If you prefer, you can make this with a different winter squash puree such as butternut or acorn squash.
- Dried Thyme- If you have fresh on hand, you can use 2 tablespoons of finely chopped instead.
- Balsamic Vinegar- If needed, you can use red wine vinegar but balsamic does provide the best flavor.
- Sea Salt- Table salt or kosher salt will also work; adjust to taste.
- Black Pepper
- Water- For a bit more flavor, you can use vegetable broth or chicken broth instead.
1. Sauté onions and garlic. Heat oil in the bottom of a pot over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened and then add the garlic for 1 minute.
2. Cook rice. Reduce to medium-low heat and stir in the rice, pumpkin puree, thyme, salt, pepper and water. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the liquid is evaporated and the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Add vinegar. Remove from heat, stir in vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover pumpkin rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm leftover rice in the microwave or on the stovetop adding a splash of water if needed.
Make it Your Own
Include Mushrooms: Add 2 cups of mushrooms at the same time as the onions.
Add Some Leafy Greens: In the last 5 minutes, stir in some spinach, baby kale or chard and allow it to wilt.
Make it With White Rice: Instead of brown, you can use a white long grain rice and reduce the water to 2 and ¾ cups per 1 and ½ cups rice.
- Additional fresh thyme sprigs
- Chopped toasted almonds, walnuts and pecans
- Dried cranberries
- Cracked black pepper
And serve it as a rice accompaniment with a main dish such as:
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like these other rice dishes:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 and ½ cup long grain white rice
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened and then add the garlic for 1 minute.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and stir in the rice, pumpkin puree, thyme, salt, pepper and water.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the liquid is evaporated and the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.