This tasty Italian Sausage Rice Skillet is a spin off of Chorizo Rice Skillet that happened when I accidentally bought Italian Sausage instead. I changed up the spices, switched out the colour of beans and added some spinach for an easy one pot meal that cooks mostly hands off and makes tasty leftovers!
- Spicy Italian Sausage-This recipe is also delicious with Sweet Italian Sausage! You need uncooked sausage for this recipe. If it is in casings, remove the ground meat from the casings prior to cooking. Since the sausage is the base of the recipe, make sure you pick a good quality one. Read the ingredients and make sure there aren’t a bunch of unnecessary additives. The one that I found at our grocery store was simply pork and spices.
- Red Onion- A white or yellow onion will also work.
- Bell Pepper- Any colour will work. Or you can leave it out if you aren't a fan.
- Long Grain Brown Rice- This recipe is written to be made with long grain brown rice. You can substitute white rice but you will need to decrease the water to 3 and ½ cups. The cook time will be about 10 minutes shorter.
- White Beans- Such as navy beans, cannellini beans or Great Northern beans. You could also substitute kidney beans, black beans or chickpeas or leave them out altogether.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes- If you have a lot of fresh tomatoes on hand, you can use those instead! Substitute with 1 and ½ cups diced.
- Dried Italian Herbs- You can use a premixed blend or any combination that you have on hand of parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, savory, etc.
- Garlic Powder- Freshly minced garlic will also work. Use 2 cloves (about 2 tsp) and add them to the pan in the last minute of cooking the onions and peppers.
- Sea Salt
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Mozzarella Cheese- This dish would also be tasty topped with freshly grated parmesan.
- Cook sausage and drain excess grease.
- Add onion and pepper and sauté until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the spinach and simmer.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Serve hot topped with cheese as desired.
Italian Sausage Rice Skillet Leftover Storage
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Rewarm in the microwave with an extra splash of water if needed.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free - if you serve it without cheese
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage removed from casings
- 1 medium red onion diced (1 cup)
- 1 bell pepper diced (1 cup)
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 (19 oz) can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 and ½ cups water
- 6 oz fresh spinach about 6 cups
- Place the sausage in a large skillet and heat over medium, stirring and crumbling until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- If there is a lot of grease, drain most of it off, and then add the onion and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened, about an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, white beans, tomatoes, seasonings and water and stir to combine. Cover and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is nearly tender and the water has mostly evaporated.
- Stir in the spinach a few handfuls at a time, allowing it to wilt. Cover and allow the rice to finish cooking and then remove from heat.
- Serve warm.
More One Pot Meals!