With a one pot cooking time of less than 30 minutes and no chopping required, this flavorful lemon herb shrimp and rice is an easy weeknight meal that the entire family will love. All you need is a handful of simple ingredients to make this delicious recipe as is or get creative and add extra vegetables and protein.
Who doesn't love an easy, one-pot, less than 30 minutes kind of meal?
They are perfect for busy weeknights (or just times when you don't feel like putting a lot of effort into cooking!), involve few dishes (hello, quick clean up!), and in the case of this Lemon Herb Shrimp and Rice Skillet, are absolutely DELICIOUS!
If you have tried my Lemon Herb Rice, you'll recognize the flavours in this easy one-pot dinner. With the addition of frozen peas and shrimp to that recipe, it turns into this easy meal.
And since it is made with pantry staples and frozen ingredients, it is the type of recipe you might be able to whip up even when it seems like the fridge is empty!
- Butter- If you need the dish to be dairy free, you can use olive or avocado oil instead.
- Garlic- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder can be used instead. Add it at the same time as the Italian herbs.
- Long Grain White Rice- Use a long grain white rice such as jasmine or basmati for this recipe.
- Lemon Juice- You need ¼ cup of lemon juice which is approximately one freshly squeezed lemon or you can use bottled.
- Italian Herbs- Use a premixed blend of dried Italian Herbs or any combination of parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, savory, etc. that you have on hand.
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Shrimp- You will need about 1 lb (I usually use one 340 g bag) thawed, peeled and deveined. For the quickest prep, I like to buy them frozen, peeled and deveined. I have tested this recipe with many different sizes and they have all worked but I prefer to use smaller shrimp (around 51-60 count or smaller), so that there is some in every bite.
- Frozen Peas- You can add an additional cup if you wish or leave them out altogether.
1. Melt butter. Heat a deep skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Toast Rice. Stir in rice to evenly coat and allow to toast for 2-3 additional minutes, stirring often.
3. Simmer. Add water and seasonings, stir and cover. Cook for 10 minutes until the water is mostly absorbed (about 75 %).
4. Add peas and shrimp. Stir in the frozen peas and place the shrimp in an even layer on top. Cover and cook for 3-5 additional minutes, until the shrimp is cooked through and pink.
5. Serve. You can leave the shrimp on top or stir it all together before serving.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through.
Make It Your Own
- Different Frozen Vegetables- Try substituting a different frozen vegetable of similar size such as green beans.
- Add Spinach- Add 2-4 cups of fresh spinach in the last 2 minutes of cooking, stir and allow to wilt.
- Make it Cheesy- Stir in ⅓ cup (1 oz) of shredded Parmesan at the same time as the peas plus top with additional as desired.
- Use Fresh Herbs- If you have fresh Italian herbs on hand, use 2 tablespoons finely chopped in place of dry and garnish with additional herbs at the end.
- Dairy Free- Use olive oil in place of butter.
Enjoy this lemon herb shrimp and Rice Skillet all on its own or alongside:
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Lemon Herb Shrimp and Rice Skillet
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 and ½ cups long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 and ¾ cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen peas no need to thaw
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. If using garlic powder, skip this step and add at the same time as the herbs.
- Add rice to skillet until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the spices followed by the water and lemon juice.
- Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the peas, place the shrimp on top, cover and allow to cook for 3-5 more minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through and the rice is tender and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
More One Pot Meals!