A healthy spin on the flavors of Chinese takeout, this easy ground beef and broccoli recipe is a quick weeknight meal that the entire family will enjoy.
How would you describe the perfect dinner recipe for busy weeknights? For me, there are three key elements but fortunately this ground beef and broccoli skillet checks all the boxes!
First, it must be fuss free. I don't want to spend hours chopping vegetables and doing dishes.
Second, I want it to be healthy. I love when a recipe can come together with wholesome basic ingredients. (Just like this Ground Turkey Teriyaki Bowl does).
And third, I want it to make for a delicious meal. While points 1 and 2 are important to me, I'm not willing to sacrifice taste.
And with so much flavor from the simple savory sauce ingredients, this dish definitely hits the spot.
I hope this Beef and Broccoli recipe is as much of a weeknight dinner winner in your kitchen as it is in ours.
- Brown Rice
- Ground Beef- I prefer to use extra lean ground beef. If using lean or regular, you will need to drain off the excess grease before adding the ginger and garlic.
- Garlic Powder- You can definitely use 4 cloves of minced fresh garlic if preferred.
- Ground Ginger- 1 inch of minced fresh ginger (about 1 and ½ tbsp) will also work.
- Broccoli- You need about 1 large head of broccoli or 2 small. To make it extra quick you can use prechopped fresh broccoli or even frozen broccoli florets.
- Coconut Aminos- Low sodium soy sauce or tamari also work.
- Rice Vinegar
- Sesame Oil
- Sriracha- Leave it out if you are sensitive to spice or add more/less depending on your preference.
1. Cook beef. In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat, using a wooden spoon to crumble into smaller pieces. Drain excess fat.
2. Add rice and seasonings. Stir the rice, ginger and garlic into the skillet with the ground beef. Increase to medium high heat, stir in the water, cover and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Add broccoli. After the rice has simmered for 15 minutes, stir and then place the broccoli on top. Cover and cook for 15-20 additional minutes until the water is nearly evaporated and the rice and broccoli are soft.
4. Add the sauce ingredients. Stir in the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sriracha.
5. Serve. Garnish with green onions and additional sriracha.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. It freezes very well and is great for meal prep!
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through.
Make it Your Own
- Make it Low Carb- Follow the steps for "use precooked grain" except omit the grains. You could serve with cauliflower rice if you wish.
- Use White Rice- Reduce the water to 3 cups and add the broccoli as soon as the rice is simmering. The cook time will be reduced by 10-15 minutes.
- Use Precooked Grain- Omit the rice and water and add the broccoli at the same time as the ginger and garlic. Add ½ cup of water and steam broccoli over medium heat until nearly softened (about 10-15 minutes). Stir in 4-5 cups of a precooked/leftover grain that you have on hand along with the sauces and ¼ cup of water. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the grain is heated through. You could use:
- Leftover brown or white rice
- Make it with a Different Ground Meat- Try this recipe with ground chicken or ground turkey instead. Since these meats tend to be less fatty, you may want to use ½ tablespoon of avocado oil to brown the meat.
- Adjust the Tenderness of the Broccoli- This recipe is written to yield tender broccoli. If you prefer yours more on the crisp-tender side, add the broccoli later (after the rice has cooked for 20-25 minutes) instead.
Garnish this Easy Beef and Broccoli Dish with:
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Red pepper flakes
- Extra sriracha or another hot sauce
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- My Favorite Ground Beef Tacos
- Breakfast Fried Rice
- Egg Roll Bowls
- Asian Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce
- Gyudon-Inspired Ground Beef and Rice Bowls
Ground Beef and Broccoli
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 and ½ cups brown rice
- 4 and ¼ cup water
- 1 lb broccoli chopped into about 1 inch florets (8-10 cups)
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 and ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 and ½ teaspoon sriracha
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped for serving
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for serving
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat. Cook, stirring and crumbling, for about 5-8 minutes until cooked through. Drain excess grease if necessary.
- Add rice, garlic and ginger, stir and increase heat to medium high. Cover and bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir the rice and add the broccoli on top. Cover and cook for 15-20 additional minutes until the water is nearly evaporated and the rice and broccoli are soft.
- Stir in the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sriracha. Remove from heat.
- Serve topped with green onions and sesame seeds.
More Quick and Easy Meals!