Made with lean protein and simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store, this one pot turkey chili gives a healthy dinner spin to a classic comfort food. In just a few easy steps and less than an hour, you'll have this hearty meal ready for the whole family to enjoy. It is also a great recipe to meal prep for work lunches.
When the days are shorter and the weather is colder, nothing quite hits the spot like a big bowl of chili (though a bowl of potato soup comes close!).
From the moment that the smell of chili seasoning starts to fill the air until long after you have finished your bowl and cleaned the dishes (which is quick since this healthy meal is part of my collection of one-pot wonders!), the house will be filled with a feeling of comfort.
Great for busy weeknights and lazy Saturdays alike, this turkey chili has just a little bit of kick from the chili powder but is not overpowering.
If you're sensitive to spice, you can reduce the chili powder a bit or just add an extra dollop of Greek yogurt to your bowl to cool it down.
- Avocado Oil- Olive oil or another neutral cooking oil will also work.
- Yellow Onion- You can also use a white onion.
- Bell Pepper- I'm partial to using a red pepper but any sweet bell pepper works.
- Lean Ground Turkey- We've made this with lean ground beef and ground chicken as well and it turns out great.
- Chili Powder- I'm referring to the spice blend of chili powder which contains chili pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic powder and more. NOT Purely Ground Chili Pepper.
- Honey- Maple syrup or sugar can also be used. This helps to cut the acid from the tomato.
- Tomato Paste
- Garlic Powder- You can freshly mince 4-6 cloves of garlic instead.
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Red Kidney Beans- Another type of bean can be used or they can be omitted if you don't like beans in your chili.
- Tomato Sauce
1. Sauté onions and peppers. In a large pot over medium heat, add the avocado oil and the chopped peppers and onions. Cook, stirring often until softened, about 5-8 minutes.
2. Brown the turkey. Increase to medium-high and add the ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces until cooked through.
3. Add the seasonings, tomato paste and honey. Reduce to medium-low heat and stir in the seasonings, tomato paste and honey. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir in the water, crushed tomatoes, beans and tomato sauce.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes. Cover and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavor to develop, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover one pot turkey chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through or on the stove top over medium heat for 5-10 minutes with a splash of additional water.
Make it Your Own
- Different Types of Beans- Black beans, pinto beans or white beans could all be used in place of the kidney beans. Or feel free to add an additional can.
- Add Corn- Are you a fan of corn in your chili? If so, you can add 1-2 cups of frozen corn at the same time as the beans.
- Include More Veggies- Add up to 4 cups of additional vegetables at the same time as the beans. The cook time may need to increase to 45 minutes depending on what you are adding to ensure that they are cooked through and tender. Some great additions to this chili would be:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash
- Spinach (Stir it in to wilt in the last 5 minutes)
Garnish your comforting bowl of chili with all of your favorite toppings:
- Green onions
- A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips
- A fresh squeeze of lime
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado or Guacamole
And try serving this one pot turkey chili alongside some:
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
One Pot Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion 1 cup, chopped
- 1 bell pepper 1 cup, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 and ½ cups water
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 7 oz can tomato sauce
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the avocado oil and the chopped peppers and onions. Cook, stirring often until softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Increase to medium-high and add the ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and stir in the seasonings, tomato paste and honey. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the water, crushed tomatoes, beans and tomato sauce.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavor to develop, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with all of your favorite chili toppings.
We love turkey chili so I know I'm going to love this recipe! It looks so easy to make!
I hope you love it!
This chili was hearty, spicy and so satisfying!! Everyone liked it so much that we had no leftovers after dinner!
Yay, I'm so glad you liked this recipe, Anjali!
This turkey chili is so easy and healthy! Loved it.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Katherine.
This chili is so hearty and delicious. Loved the use of turkey here. Everyone loved it at home.
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Rachna!
What a hearty delicious chili! I love having Turkey in it, makes it less heavy. Thank you!
Thank you for your kind review, Ned!
We made this chili in the instant pot, it turned out so yummy!! The flavour was just right. We added carrots and zucchini, will definitely make this again!
I'm glad you enjoyed this turkey! Thank you for your kind review, Tegan.