With just a few minutes of prep, this slow cooker buffalo chicken chili is an easy recipe that is perfect for busy weekdays and game days alike. Made with simple ingredients, this delicious meal combines the flavors of classic chili seasonings with those of spicy buffalo wings. It just might end up being your new favorite chili recipe.
Delicious as so much more than a chicken wing flavor, "Buffalo" is a crowd pleaser.
From delicious dips, to pizza, sandwiches and more, you can see this flavor inspire all sorts of great recipes.
But this buffalo chicken chili recipe just might be my favorite way to enjoy it!
A hearty chili with some extra heat, plenty of vegetables and tangy blue cheese is one of those slow cooker meals you'll want to make on repeat. (As is this Crockpot Yellow Thai Chicken Curry!)
Made with ingredients you can find at any grocery store, this spicy chili is perfect for loading up with ALL the toppings!
Avocado, tortilla chips, fresh herbs, extra hot sauce.
The options are endless.
I'm sure this recipe will be a dinner winner in your house!
Plus it makes great leftovers. If you have any leftover...
- Chicken- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs will work. I personally prefer to use boneless thighs for slow cooker recipes as they tend to be less prone to drying out and are more tender.
- "Frank's Red" Hot Sauce- You should be able to find this popular sauce in almost any grocery store. Another similar hot sauce may work but this is the only one that I have tested the recipe with.
- Is buffalo wing sauce the same as hot sauce? No! Buffalo sauce is essentially a hot sauce that has been enhanced with butter and often some additional seasonings. For this recipe, make sure that you use hot sauce.
- Diced Tomatoes- Regular or fire-roasted tomatoes will work.
- Red Kidney Beans- Feel free to use a different type of bean if you prefer.
- Garlic- One teaspoon of garlic powder will also work.
- Sweet Potato
- Fine Sea Salt- Kosher salt or table salt also work- just adjust to taste.
- Cayenne- For a spicier chili, you can increase the amount of cayenne that you use.
- Water- Chicken broth can also be used to add extra flavor.
- Blue Cheese (Optional)
1. Mix. In the bottom of a large slow cooker or crockpot, mix together the diced tomatoes, water, hot sauce, honey and seasonings. Add the vegetables and stir. Place the chicken in the centre so that it is submerged.
2. Slow Cook. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours until the chicken is cooked through to 165 F and the vegetables are tender.
3. Shred Chicken. Remove the chicken to a bowl and allow to cool slightly. Shred or move to a cutting board and dice into bite sized pieces.
Tip! Use a hand mixer to shred the chicken- it takes just a minute and saves you waiting for it to be cool enough to handle.
4. (Optional). Stir in blue cheese. For a creamy buffalo chicken chili (highly recommended!), crumble 4 oz of blue cheese into the crockpot. Cover and allow to melt for a couple of minutes and then stir to incorporate.
5. Return Chicken. Stir in the (diced or) shredded chicken.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftovers of this healthy buffalo chicken chili in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To Freeze: This buffalo chili can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through or on the stove top over medium heat for 5-10 minutes with a splash of additional water.
Make it Your Own
- Add More Vegetables! This recipe is easily customizable to switch out or add whatever you have on hand. Here are some ideas:
- Bell Peppers
- Butternut Squash
- Make it Vegetarian- Omit the chicken. Feel free to add an additional can or two of beans to up the protein as well as additional cauliflower.
- Change or Add More Beans- In addition to or instead of kidney beans, feel free to white beans or black beans.
Garnish your flavorful chili with all of your favorite toppings such as:
- Green onions
- A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt (if skipping the blue cheese in the recipe)
- Stir in a bit of cream cheese (if skipping the blue cheese in the recipe)
- Blue cheese crumbles or shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced jalapenos
- Sliced avocado or Guacamole
And try serving this crockpot buffalo chicken chili alongside some:
You bet! Just like with this White Chicken Chili recipe, you can add all of the ingredients to a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, reduce to medium low and cook for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through to 165 F and the sweet potatoes are tender.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 5 Qt (or larger) Slow Cooker
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup "Frank's Red" Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 and ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 and ½ tablespoon paprika
- 1 and ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cups water (add more for a thinner chili)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 carrots diced, about 2 cups
- 4 celery stalks diced, about 1.5 cups
- 2 cups cauliflower chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato diced
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts about 3
- In a slow cooker, stir together the ingredients from the diced tomatoes to the water. Mix in the chopped vegetables. Set the chicken breasts in the centre and push to submerge them.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Remove the chicken and dice into cubes or shred.
- Optional: Stir in 4 oz of crumbled blue cheese until melted.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve, with desired toppings such as avocado, Greek yogurt, crumbled blue cheese, green onions and tortilla chips.