The first time that we made this Chorizo Rice and Beans Skillet, I was definitely winging it.
I threw some ingredients into a pot, added some seasoning and hoped for the best!
The result? This easy, wholesome, FLAVOUR PACKED one pot meal. I highly encourage you to give it a try- I have a feeling it might be something you want to make regularly!
- Chorizo Sausage- You will need uncooked ground chorizo for this recipe. If it is in casings, remove the casings prior to cooking. Look for a good quality Chorizo sausage for this recipe- the one that I used was simply pork and spices.
- Yellow Onion - A red or white onion would also work. Or it can be left out if needed.
- Bell Pepper- We typically use a red bell pepper but any colour would work. Or it can be left out if needed.
- Long Grain Brown Rice - See notes in the "Make it Your Own" section below if you would like to use white rice.
- Finely Chopped Tomatoes and Green Chiles- I have also successfully tested this recipe with the following substitutes:
- a 14oz (398 mL) can of regular diced tomatoes or fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 oz (60 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- Black Beans- Use one can or you could use a batch of this homemade recipe! You can also substitute with another bean such as cannellini.
- Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Sea Salt, Black Pepper
1. Brown Chorizo Sausage. If there is excessive grease, drain it off before proceeding with the next step.
2. Sauté vegetables until softened.
3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer. Add the rice, beans, tomatoes and seasonings and stir to ensure they are evenly coated. Then stir in the water. Simmer covered over medium heat, stirring every 5-10 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. For best results, remove from heat, leave the lid on and allow the dish to sit for 5 minutes to allow the rice to continue to soften.
To Store: Store leftover Chorizo Rice and Beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave until heated through, adding an extra splash of water if needed.
How to Serve Chorizo Rice and Beans
Enjoy this meal all on its own or top it off with some:
- Shredded Cheese- Cheddar or Monterey Jack would both be great
- Chopped Cilantro
- Fresh Diced Tomatoes
- Mashed Avocado
- Hot Sauce
- Easy Salsa
Side Dish Suggestions:
Make it Your Own
- Add some greens - In the last couple minutes of cooking, stir in 4 cups of fresh spinach and allow to wilt.
- Add corn - Add 1-2 cups of frozen or canned corn at the same time as the black beans.
- Use white rice- Reduce the water to 3 and ½ cups. Cook time will also be reduced by about 10 minutes.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free - If you don't top with cheese.
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like these other easy meals!
- My Favorite Ground Beef Tacos
- Italian Sausage Rice Skillet
- Beef and Broccoli Bowls
- Chimichurri Shrimp Bowls
- 1 lb uncooked chorizo removed from casings
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (~1 cup)
- 1 bell pepper diced (~1 cup)
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 (19 oz) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles do not drain
- 1 and ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 and ½ cups water
- Add the chorizo to a large skillet and heat over medium, stirring and crumbling until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- If there is a lot of grease, drain most of it off, and then add the onion and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened, about an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, rice, beans and tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the water is evaporated, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm, topped as desired.
More One Pot Meals!