This Sweet and Spicy Stir Fry is packed with vegetables and is an easy meal to make that tastes great as leftovers. The from scratch sauce is quick to make and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand!
- Chicken- We typically use boneless, skinless chicken breasts but feel free to use thighs or a different type of meat such as sliced pork tenderloin. Or you can leave the meat out and increase the vegetables or add a can of chickpeas at the end.
- Olive Oil- Feel free to substitute another neutral cooking oil.
- Garlic and Green Onions
- Sea Salt- Adjust to taste; if your coconut aminos or soy sauce is salty enough, leave this out.
- Broccoli, Bell Pepper, Onions, Snap Peas and Carrots- These are our usual vegetables for this recipe. We usually use a vegetable peeler to cut the carrots into thin ribbons for some variety of shape and texture but you can definitely just slice them into thin rounds and add them at the same time as the broccoli.
- Canned Miniature Corn- Feel free to leave them out or substitute sliced water chestnuts.
- Honey- The “sweet” in our sauce. Maple syrup could be substituted but would change the flavor.
- Coconut Aminos- You can substitute soy sauce or tamari.
- Sriracha- The “spicy” in our sauce. If you are sensitive to spice, start with half of the amount called for and then add after tasting.
- Ground ginger and garlic- Using ground of these makes the sauce quick to make. You can substitute fresh if you prefer though. You would need 2 cloves minced garlic and about 1 tablespoon grated ginger.
- Cornstarch and water- This helps to thicken the sauce but if you don’t mind a slightly thinner sauce, you can leave it out.
- Stir together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Cook the chicken and set aside.
- Sauté green onions and garlic.
- Cook the vegetables.
- Put everything back, add the sauce, stir and serve!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave.
How to Serve Sweet and Spicy Stir Fry
This stir fry is tasty enough all on its own or over a bed of rice or cauliflower rice. However, feel free to dress it up with some toppings! Some suggestions:
- toasted nuts or sesame seeds
- chopped green onions
- a fried egg
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Paleo - If you leave out the corn and serve with cauliflower rice.
- Vegetarian - If you leave out the chicken. You can add one can of chickpeas at the same time as the corn.
- Vegan - If you follow the directions for vegetarian as well as use maple syrup in place of honey.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the Stir Fry
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 2, cut into bite sized slices
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pack green onions chopped and divided (about ½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt to taste
- 6 oz broccoli chopped (about 3 cups or 1 crown)
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 pack sugar snap peas (about 2 cups)
- 2 yellow onions thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 carrots sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 can miniature corn chopped into 1 inch chunks
- prepared rice or cauliflower rice
- toasted cashews or peanuts
- toasted sesame seeds
- fried eggs
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the honey. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to coat. Add chicken and 1 tablespoon of sauce and stir until cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add additional oil if needed as well as the garlic and white portion of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add additional oil followed by the broccoli, pepper, peas, onions and salt. Let cook for about 5 minutes until partially softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots and cook 2-3 more minutes until vegetables are at desired level of softness.
- Add the corn, chicken and sauce and stir until evenly coated and heated through, about 1 minute.
- Serve hot over rice with your choice of toppings.