With a fluffy texture and mild coconut flavor, this coconut milk rice makes a great side dish to a variety of Tropical and Asian dishes. Made in a rice cooker, it is an easy dump and go recipe that is a definite upgrade from plain rice. You'll love it alongside some Thai Curry.
If you're looking to upgrade your plain white rice side dish, I have just the thing!
With the simple addition of coconut milk and salt in place of some of the water, you have a savory coconut rice that tastes delicious with a variety of curries, fish, meats and more.
Really, I could eat this stuff as a side to anything.
Its the perfect side dish if you're making a more involved main dish since it requires so little of your attention.
Creamy, fluffy, easy. You will love it!
- Jasmine Rice- For best results, I like to use white long grain jasmine rice. Basmati rice could also be used.
- Coconut Milk- You need full-fat coconut milk from a can for this recipe.
- Fine Sea Salt
1. Wash rice. Rinse the rice until the water runs mostly clear. This helps eliminate the excess starches in order to yield a fluffy rather than sticky rice result.
2. Mix. In the pot of a rice cooker, stir together the rinsed rice, coconut milk water and salt.
3. Cook. Turn your rice cooker to the cook rice setting as per your model's directions.
4. Serve. Fluff with a fork and enjoy.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Store leftover coconut rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: Rewarm in the microwave or on the stovetop adding a splash of water if needed.
Make it Your Own
- Try Using Coconut Water- Replace water with equal parts unsweetened coconut water for extra flavour.
- Infuse with Pandan Leaves or Lemongrass- Add fresh flavour by including 2-3 leaves during the cooking process and then removing prior to serving.
- Garnish With Coconut- Up the taste of coconut by stirring in 2 tablespoon of shredded coconut after cooking and garnishing with additional toasted coconut flakes.
- Cilantro Lime- Stir in ¼ cup of chopped cilantro and 2 tablespoon lime juice (1 lime) after it has finished cooking.
- Ginger- Add 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger at the same time as the rest of the ingredients.
- Indian Coconut Rice- Add 1 tablespoon of yellow curry powder at the same time as the salt.
This simple Coconut Rice makes the perfect side dish to a variety of south Asian and tropical dishes! Try it alongside Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry, Tikka Masala Stew (leave out the rice in the recipe), Jerk Chicken Thighs and more.
Try topping it with fresh cilantro and chopped green onions for an extra pop of fresh flavor.
Yes! Add all of the ingredients to a pot, cover and heat over medium high until boiling. Stir, reduce heat to medium low heat and simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir and serve!
I have not personally tried this recipe with brown rice so I can't guarantee any results. I would expect that you would need to add a bit more water, but I haven't tested it to know how much.
How to Wash Rice (And Why You Should)
Place the rice in a fine mesh sieve and place the sieve in a bowl. Fill the bowl with water so that the rice is covered. With clean hands, swirl the rice for a few seconds. Dump the water and repeat 2-3 times until the water is nearly clear. Drain rice and resume with recipe.
Rinsing the rice removes excess starch which helps ensure fluffy rice that is not overly sticky!
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Rice Cooker Coconut Rice
- Rice Cooker
- 2 cups white jasmine rice
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk full fat
- 1 and ¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Rinse the rice 2-3 times until the water is nearly clear. Drain.
- Add all of the ingredients to a rice cooker and stir to combine.
- Turn the rice cooker to on and allow to cook for the full cycle.
- When done, fluff and serve.
More Tasty Side Dishes!