Calling all chocolate lovers! If you're looking for a healthy alternative to regular brownies, give this 3-ingredient banana brownies recipe a try! Made without any added oil or refined sugar, it is the perfect recipe to curb your chocolate cravings. You'll love the fudgy centers.
If you're a firm believer that chocolate can be a part of a healthy diet, then these healthy flourless brownies are for you.
And if you sometimes bakes brownies just to enjoy some of the thick batter, then these are definitely for you. (Or try eating some Chocolate Hummus straight off the spoon).
Made with wholesome, simple ingredients, you can even rationalize eating these for breakfast. (Chocolate Granola is another great way to start your day).
Bananas provide all of the natural sweetness, nut butter makes them fudgy and contributes healthy fats (as it does in this edible brownie batter) and cocoa brings the chocolate. And that's it.
Combine, bake and enjoy!
Eat them warm, at room temperature or even frozen- they taste like a chocolate ice cream treat.
- Overripe Bananas- You need about 2 cups of mashed bananas for this recipe which is about 4 medium-large bananas or 3 very large bananas. This recipe is fairly forgiving though so if your bananas end up being a bit over 2 cups, just through them all in!
- Nut Butter- Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter- whatever your prefer and have on hand. Ensure that you are using smooth nut butter that has been well stirred. This recipe should work with all natural or regular nut butters. To make it allergy friendly, check out this post on almond butter substitutes.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- (Or use cacao powder). If you love chocolate flavour, you can add up to ⅔ cup cocoa for extra rich chocolate flavour- the brownies may taste a bit less sweet though.
1. Mix. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or fork to mash the bananas until smooth. Mix in the almond butter and cocoa.
Or add all three ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender and blend until smooth.
2. Bake. Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with a silicone liner or parchment paper. Pour batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth out the brownie mixture into an even layer. Bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes until the top of the brownies appear set.
3. Cool. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Then, using the liner, lift the brownies from the pan and cut into bars.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Cool completely on a wire rack and store leftover banana brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw or eat frozen (they make an amazing frozen treat!).
Make it Your Own
Chunky Brownies- add up to 1 cup of:
- Dark Chocolate Chips (Semi-sweet or white would also be delicious)
- Chopped Nuts such as walnuts, almonds or peanuts
- Peanut Butter Chips
Add Frosting- For a healthier icing alternative, try spreading a layer of chocolate hummus on top
Make the Sweeter- You can taste the batter before baking and if it is not sweet enough for your liking, you can add 2-4 tablespoon of sweetener such as coconut sugar, honey or maple syrup.
Add Sea Salt- Alternatively, adding a bit of salt to desserts can help bring out their sweetness and give them more flavour. Try adding ¼ teaspoon fine salt the batter or sprinkling the brownies with coarse sea salt after baking.
These brownies are the perfect healthy treat to satisfy a sweet craving. And since they are made with such wholesome ingredients, they don't have to be limited to dessert.
Pack them along for a quick snack or even enjoy them as an easy breakfast.
In the summer, I like to keep a batch of these frozen in the freezer for a satisfying cool treat- they remind me of a fudgesicle!
Yes! Allow frozen bananas to thaw completely and then use them in this recipe. Ensure that you are freezing bananas that are very ripe and using those so that they provide enough sweetness.
You bet! To make 3 ingredient banana brownies friendly for those with nut allergies, use sunflower seed butter in place of the nut butter. Ensure that it is well stirred.
While these are super fudgy and delicious, you can definitely notice the taste of bananas. I love them and think that they make the perfect snack when I am craving a sweet treat. But if you're looking for something to taste exactly like a decadent dessert, these might not be it. Instead, try these Oat Flour Brownies which are made entirely with oat flour and taste like a classic brownie.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
3 Ingredient Banana Brownies
- 4 medium ripe bananas (2 cups mashed)
- ⅔ cup nut butter
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F. Prepare a 9 inch square baking pan by lining it with parchment or a silicone mat..
- Mix the batter by adding all of the ingredients to a food processor and processing until smooth. Alternatively, if you don't have a food processor, you can mash the bananas until smooth in a large bowl. Add the nut butter and cocoa and mix until well combined.
- Pour brownie batter into the baking pan and use a spatula to smooth into an even layer. Bake for 17-22 minutes until they appear set on top.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Cut and move to a wire rack to cool completely (or enjoy warm!).
More Sweet Treats!