These Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars taste like a candy bar!
They are decadent and fudgy but are made with wholesome ingredients! You could probably rationalize eating these for breakfast... (or you could get your breakfast chocolate fix from this Chunky Chocolate Granola!)
Have you tried my Peanut Butter Snack Bars recipe? These have the same base of oats and crisp brown rice but the addition of some cocoa powder makes them taste like dessert. Plus they are easy to make and transport, so they are a great snack to have on hand!
- Oats- These bars hold their shape best when if you use quick oats. If you don't have any on hand, you can use large flake oats that have been pulsed in a blender 3-5 times. You would need about 1 and ¾ cups of large flake oats to yield the 1 ½ cups quick oats needed.
- Crisp Rice Cereal- You could use another puffed grain cereal in place of the rice such as puffed millet.
- Ground Flaxseed
- Chia Seeds- These just add a little bit of nutrition but can definitely be left out.
- Add ins- I used dark chocolate chips but you could try using chopped peanuts or other nuts, shredded coconut, white chocolate or peanut butter chips, raisins, or anything else you think might be good! Or you can add an additional ½ cup of crisp rice cereal instead.
- Peanut Butter- You will need 1 and ⅛ cups (1 cup plus 2 tbsp) of smooth peanut butter. I typically use natural style peanut butter but shelf stable peanut butter would work as well.
- Coconut Oil- You need an oil that is solid at room temperature in order for the bars to hold their shape so I don't recommend any substitutions.
- Maple Syrup- Feel free to use honey instead.
- Cocoa Powder
- Espresso Powder- This amplifies the chocolate taste in these bars but it can be left out.
- Fine Sea Salt
- Mix together the oats, rice cereal, flaxseed, chia seeds and add ins.
- Melt together peanut butter and coconut oil. Add maple syrup, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Press firmly into a 9×9 pan. (Tip: wet your hands to push down on the mixture so that it doesn’t stick to them)
- Freeze, slice into bars and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy straight from the freezer or allow to come to room temperature.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars Variations
Make Energy Balls– Scoop out 1-2 tablespoon of mixture, roll into balls and place on a lined baking sheet. Freeze for at least 30 minutes and then move into a container. Be sure to lightly wet your hands as you go so that it doesn’t stick to you.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free- If you use sunflower seed butter in place of peanut butter.
- Peanut Free- If you use another nut butter such as almond butter.
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- 1 and ½ cups quick oats or 1 and ¾ cups large flake oats, pulsed in the blender 3-5 times
- 1 cup crisp brown rice cereal
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup add ins such as dark chocolate chips, peanuts, coconut flakes
- 1 and ⅛ cups peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, rice cereal, flaxseed, chia seeds and chocolate chips.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter and coconut oil. Microwave for 30-60 seconds until melted. Add maple syrup, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt and stir to combine.
- Using a rubber spatula, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with a silicone mat, parchment paper or wax paper and pour the mixture into it. Wet your hands, press the mixture firmly into the pan and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and using the lining, pull the bars out and place on a cutting board. Cut into 16 bars and enjoy.
More Snack Ideas!
I can eat these all day! Soooo good! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Thank you for your kind review, Holley!
These chocolate peanut bars are so good! I love how healthy they are and still feel like a special treat!
I'm glad you enjoy this recipe, Jen!
These chocolate peanut butter bars have quickly become my family's favorite treat! Love that they're made with healthy ingredients, too. A really special recipe.
I'm glad you enjoy this recipe, Liza!
These chocolate peanut butter bars are totally drool worthy. They look just like a candy bar!
Thank you for your kind review, Andrea!
These are so yummy and I love the healthy ingredients in these bad boys, like the chia and flax seeds! Love recipes like this. Thanks for sharing it!
I'm glad you like this recipe, Dana!