This Baked Cajun Honey Butter Salmon is the kind of recipe you need in your life. The kind of recipe that makes you feel like you've got it all together. People will gasp if they learn that this is what you whip up on a night when you barely have time to cook.
But don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. I won't tell a soul that your fancy dinner took you only 20 minutes and used just 4 ingredients!
This tasty salmon comes together so easily thanks to our superpower ingredient- Cajun Honey Butter! It makes everything taste better. Just ask Cajun Corn or Cajun Chicken Sheet Pan.
For this dish, simply spread it on the salmon and bake. That's it. Seriously.
If you're short on time, you can serve it with just some rice and vegetables (I highly recommend making extra Cajun Honey Butter for topping!). Or if you're feeling fancy, you can make some more involved side dishes since you don't have to do much for the salmon.
- Salmon- This recipe works with both skinned and skin on salmon- use whatever you prefer. You can use a whole side salmon for this recipe or individual fillets.
- If using a whole side salmon that has very different thicknesses (like the one in my picture), I recommend cutting it into separate pieces so that you can remove the thinner piece early and avoid over cooking.
- Cajun Honey Butter- If you already have some on hand, you can use that! You need about 2 tablespoon for this recipe.
- Cajun Seasoning
1. Make the Cajun honey butter. Whip together butter, honey and seasoning until well combined. Feel free to make a double batch and set some aside for serving!
2. Spread the honey butter over the salmon. Place the salmon on a baking sheet lined with either parchment or a silicone sheet for easy clean up. Spread the honey butter over the salmon, coating the top and the edges. TIP: To make it easier to spread, microwave the butter for 10-15 seconds to soften it.
3. Bake at 400 F for 10-20 minutes. TIP: If you found the butter was too difficult to spread, allow the salmon to bake for 5 minutes, then remove it from the oven and use a brush to ensure the salmon is fully coated. Return to the oven and bake for 7-15 more minutes.
- How long does it take to bake salmon? It depends on the thickness of the piece that you are using! (The thinner piece in my picture was done after 11 minutes while the thicker piece took 20 minutes)
- Thin fillets (about ½ inch thick) will likely take 10-14 minutes.
- Thick fillets (about 1 inch thick) can take closer to 15-20 minutes.
- How do I know when the salmon is done cooking?
- The best way to know is to use an instant read thermometer (145 F).
- If you don't have a thermometer, you can check for flaking. Lightly press the salmon with a fork. It it is done, the flesh should separate easily and no longer appear raw inside.
Make Ahead: The honey butter can made up to 1 week ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Take it out a couple of hours before making this recipe to allow it to come to room temperature. Or microwave for 20-30 seconds to soften it.
To Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To Reheat: Reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
What to Serve with Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
- Cajun Corn
- Cajun Rice- Omit the shrimp and corn from this recipe for a tasty rice side dish.
- Onion Roasted Potatoes
- Honey Oat Bread
- Santa Fe Salad
- Mixed Berry Spinach Salad
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- Lemon Garlic Herb Cod
- Cajun Chicken Sheet Pan
- Lemon Herb Shrimp Rice Skillet
- Canned Salmon Over Rice (5 Ways!)
Baked Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
- 1 lb salmon fillets or whole side
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set the salmon on top.
- Make the Cajun honey butter. Whip together the butter, honey and Cajun seasoning until well combined.
- Spread the honey butter mixture on the salmon.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes (depending on the salmon thickness) until salmon is cooked through to 145 F. Salmon should flake with a fork.
More Meal Ideas!
I love a good Cajun recipe! This salmon recipe looks so delicious and I bet that cajun honey butter would be delicious on chicken as well. Can't wait to try that!
Anything cajun is always on my recipe list to try! I'm really excited to make these with salmon and other fishes like tilapia. That cajun butter is calling me!
We will be using this fabulous Cajun butter recipe the next time we have salmon. Which will be soon as we eat salmon several times a week.
The flavours on this salmon sound amazing. I am adding it to my meal plan for the week.
This Cajun salmon was incredibly easy and delicious. Prepared it for my parents and they went off with the recipe too! Thanks!
I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! Thank you for your kind review, Jacq.
The Cajun honey butter salmon was very delicious and so easy to make.. We also use the Cajun honey butter to pan seared some prawns . The Cajun honey butter flavour is amazing and I love it 👍👍
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thank you for your kind review, Sandy!