Next time you're looking for a quick and healthy breakfast or snack, look no further than this blueberry, spinach and avocado smoothie! It is made with just 4 wholesome ingredients, contains no milk or banana, and is super creamy thanks to the avocado.
Plus it is wonderfully customizable! Change up the fruit, add nut butter or enjoy it just how it's written!
- Spinach- Fresh or frozen spinach will work.
- Blueberries- You can use fresh or frozen berries for this recipe. If using fresh, the smoothie will be less thick. Feel free to add ice cubes to achieve your desired consistency.
- Avocado- You need a quarter of 1 medium avocado which is about 30-40 grams. With the remaining 3 quarters, you can cut them up and freeze them to make the smoothie another day! Or use it to make Loaded Avocado Chickpea Toast or Pineapple Salsa.
- Flaxseed- I like to add ground flax seeds for a fiber and nutrition boost but they can be left out.
- Water- You can add more or less depending on your desired consistency.
- Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth.
This smoothie is best enjoyed fresh so I highly recommend only making as much as you are planning to have.
However, you can store the leftover smoothie in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. It will separate so give it a good shake before consuming!
Ways to Change Up this Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Make it thicker- Reduce water to ⅓ cup and add ½ cup of ice cubes.
- Use different fruit- Feel free to experiment! If you use a less sweet fruit, such as raspberries, then I recommend combining it with another sweet fruit such as grapes or bananas. Similarly, you could also add a date to achieve your desired sweetness. Some flavor combos I have tried and enjoyed are:
- Strawberries (½ cup) and ½ of a large banana
- Grapes (½ cup) and strawberries (½ cup)
- Mango chunks (½ cup) and ½ of a large banana
- 1 cup mixed berries
- Add nut butter- To make the smoothie more filling and add some more flavor, add 1 tablespoon of your favorite nut butter such as almond butter or peanut butter.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this Blueberry Avocado Smoothie...
...you might also like:
- Chai Frappe (Made with just 3 wholesome ingredients!)
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats (Another easy breakfast made with just 3 ingredients!)
- 2 cups raw spinach packed
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ medium avocado
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy immediately.
More Healthy Snacks!