Have you ever had the McDonald’s Vanilla Chai Frappe or the Starbucks Chai Crème Frappuccino? If you haven’t, imagine a chai latte turned into a milkshake. It’s so good!
As a teenager, I had one anytime I was anywhere near the Golden Arches! Now though, I wouldn’t feel too great if I did and so I haven’t had one in years. But I still crave them occasionally and wanted to come up with something that would fill the void.
Enter this healthy copycat version that TASTES LIKE THE REAL THING!
Made with just cashews, dates and a tea bag (plus water and ice), they couldn’t be easier! And they are wholesome enough that you might even be able to rationalize having this treat as a snack.
Next time you’re craving a milkshake, want a cold drink to cool you off or just an afternoon pick me up, I encourage you to give one of these a try!
- Cashews- It is important to use raw cashews so that they blend up into a creamy consistency. Don't use roasted or salted cashews.
- Chai Tea Bag- In order to make this recipe quick and easy, I like to use chai tea bags. If doubling the recipe, I find one bag for the batch to be sufficient but I use two if I’m tripling it.
- Medjool Dates- Feel free to use less or more to suit your tastes. Alternatively, you could use regular dates (~4-5) or maple syrup (~1 tablespoon).
- Hot Water and Ice
- Soak cashews, dates and tea bag in the jar of the blender. Just 5 minutes in hot water softens the cashews and provides a strong enough tea for the base.
- Blend into cashew chai cream. Since the steeped tea and slacked cashews are quite hot, add ¼ cup of ice to blend. The mixture should be creamy and room temperature.
- Add ice and blend again. Now that the mixture is cooled off and creamy, add ice to achieve the desired slushy consistently.
- Enjoy immediately!
Tip: For best results, use a high powered blender. It will still work with a regular blender but it may take longer and you might end up with more ice chunks.
This Chai Frappe is very quick to make and is best fresh! I don't recommend keeping leftovers or making this ahead.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Naturally Sweetened
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1 chai tea bag
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- 1 and ¼ cups ice cubes divided
- 2 pitted Medjool dates plus additional to taste
- Into the jar of a high powered blender, place the cashews, dates and chai tea bag. Pour boiling water over top and allow to steep for 5-7 minutes.
- After steeping, remove the tea bag and add ¼ cup of ice. Blend on high for 30-60 seconds until smooth and creamy. Add the last cup of ice and blend for an additional 30-60 seconds until desired slushy consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately.
More Healthy Snack Ideas!