Take overnight oats up a notch by turning it into a cozy pink cranberry smoothie or smoothie bowl that is perfect for colder days! Tart cranberries, sweet dates, creamy oats and warming spices make for a sensational flavor combination.
As the temperatures drop and we start to embrace autumn (and inevitably, winter), it helps to have a breakfast that you can look forward to on a dark morning. Enter this Cranberry Oat Smoothie!
Bright pink in a way that screams colour into the brown (or white) cold weather, but filled with warming spices like cinnamon and ginger, it is the ultimate definition of cozy!
Think everything that you love about overnight oats meets Cranberry Sauce and then taken up a notch into a pretty smoothie or bowl.
Basically, it is Cranberry Crisp for breakfast. Or a snack. You're welcome!
- Large Flake Rolled Oats- Quick oats or instant oats will also work.
- Cranberries- You can use fresh or frozen cranberries. If you want a cold smoothie, leave them frozen. Dried cranberries will not work for this recipe.
- Medjool Dates- Adjust depending on your desired sweetness. For a more tart smoothie, you may just want to use one or for a sweeter smoothie, increase to three. You can use a different type of date instead but if they are smaller, you may need 4-6. Alternatively 2-3 teaspoon of maple syrup or honey could be used.
- Cinnamon, Cloves and Ginger- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice can be used instead.
1. Soak oats. Add the oats and ½ cup of water to the bowl of a single serve blender. Cover and allow to sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
2. Add remaining ingredients. After 3 hours, add the remaining water and other ingredients.
3. Blend. Blend on high until smooth.
4. Serve! Pour it into a glass and drink it as a smoothie or pour it into a bowl and top it with all of your favourite smoothie bowl toppings!
Make Ahead: You can prepare the oats to soak up to one day in advance.
To Store: Cranberry oat smoothie leftovers will keep for up to 6 hours covered in the refrigerator. The smoothie will thicken as it sits so you may need to add more water or plan to eat it as a bowl.
Make it Your Own
- Change the Temperature:
- Warm- Use thawed, room temperature cranberries. Use ½ cup hot water for the second addition of water prior to blending.
- Cold- Use frozen cranberries and add ½ cup ice water as the second amount.
- Make it Creamier- Add 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter or coconut oil.
- Make it Thinner- Add an additional ½ cup water.
- Switch up the Flavour:
- Cranberry Orange Smoothie- Use orange juice in place of water.
- Apple Cranberry Smoothie- Use apple juice in place of water.
- Enjoy it in a glass as a cranberry smoothie
- Pour it in a bowl and top it as desired. Some ideas:
- Honey Cinnamon Granola
- Chia Seeds
- Toasted Nuts
- Honey Roasted Cashews
- Sautéed apples
- Sliced oranges
- Fresh or dried cranberries
- A drizzle of nut butter
Absolutely! Adding rolled oats to a smoothie adds a thickness to smoothies and helps to make them creamier. For best results, soak the oats in equal parts of water for a minimum of 30 minutes (but ideally 3 hours or overnight) so that they soften and blend up more smoothly.
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Cranberry Oat Smoothie or Bowl
- 1 cup water divided
- ½ cup large flake rolled oats
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 cup cranberries
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- To the bowl of a single serve blender, add the oats and ½ cup of water. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- After 3 hours (or the next morning), add the remaining ½ cup of water and other ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and drink or into a bowl and top as desired.
- Enjoy immediately!
More Breakfast ideas!
This is so perfect to start up my morning routine!! Thanks for the recipe! I loved it!
Thank you for your kind comments, Toni!
I love all those flavors combined! This smoothie is so delish! My kids loved it too!
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Jen!
I made it the night before and had it this morning after a workout. It was the first time I added oats to a smoothie but it really worked well and made more filling than my regular smoothies! Will definitely make it again!
I'm glad you enjoyed this smoothie, Ieva!
We love anything with cranberries and winter and this was delicious.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Danii!
Any drink with cranberries has my heart and stomach. Love this drink.
Thank you for your kind comment, Gina!
Cranberries are so potent, this is a great way to take some in! And I love the color of the smoothie, just MAKES your mood elevate.
Right?! A day that starts with a breakfast this pretty is sure to be a good one! Thank you for your kind comments, Shelby.
Wow! The colors are so pretty. it's unreal. I love how tasty and refreshing this smoothie bowl is with cranberries!
I'm glad you enjoyed this smoothie bowl, Nancy!
Such a delicious smoothie! The cranberries give such a refreshing flavor and the oats make it filling! The perfect start to the day!
I'm glad you enjoyed this smoothie, ChihYu!
This cranberry smoothie is creamy, and sweet with just the right amount of tartness! Also I love the the gorgeous pink color.
I'm glad you liked this smoothie, Stacey!