This Shredded Chicken will elevate your nacho Nacho game. Super easy to make and packed with flavor, this chicken would also be great on a salad, burrito bowl or in tacos.
Chicken- The recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts as that is what I typically use but it also works well with boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Canned Diced Tomatoes- The canned tomatoes provide most of the cooking liquid for poaching the chicken. I usually like to use canned diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes for a little extra flavor but regular canned diced tomatoes work as well.
Water- We need some water with the canned tomatoes in order to ensure that we have enough liquid to poach the chicken.
Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder and Sea Salt- This combination of spices is where all of the flavor comes from. I don’t recommend omitting or substituting any.
- Put all of the ingredients in a deep skillet or saucepan.
- Let simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred. Tip: Place the chicken in a deep bowl and use a hand mixer to shred quickly!
- Continue to simmer sauce until reduced.
- Add chicken, stir and continue to cook until all of the liquid is absorbed.
This chicken is perfect to prep ahead. Make a big batch and then portion it out into airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator. Use directly in recipes or reheat on its own in the microwave or in a pot on the stove over medium heat with a splash of water.
How to serve Nacho Shredded Chicken
- Try it on top of White Cheddar Chicken Nachos
- Use it to make tacos or enchiladas
- Add it to burrito bowls or taco salad
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Shredded Nacho Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 4
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan or deep skillet. Heat over medium and allow water to come to a simmer in order to poach the chicken for about 25 minutes, until fully cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 F. If the chicken is not completely covered by the liquid, flip it over half way through cooking.
- When the chicken has cooked completely, remove it to a plate to cool. Meanwhile, decrease the heat to medium low and allow most of the liquid to cook out of the saucepan.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it and return it to the saucepan. Stir and allow the chicken to soak up the cooking liquid. Once there is little to no liquid remaining, about 5 minutes, remove from the heat and use immediately in a recipe, or portion into containers for use at a different time.
This nacho chicken is so flavorful and versatile. Not to mention super easy to make.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Kathleen!
Who doesn’t like an easy nacho chicken. This recipe is my
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Nancy!
Oh, this is so easy, perfectly delicious for a game day
Thank you for your kind review, Alina!
Cynthia | What A Girl Eats
Such an easy and delicious recipe. Perfect for busy weeknights! Family loved it.
I'm glad you liked this recipe, Cynthia!
Best Mexican-style chicken we ever had and easier than I thought to make it was a huge thumbs up!
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe, Claudia!