Finding yourself wondering what to make for dinner tonight? Give this one pot chicken and potatoes recipe a try. Ready in under an hour and made with basic ingredients, the whole family will love the delicious flavor packed into this easy weeknight meal.
We all need those easy weeknight dinner ideas that help you push off grocery shopping for another day and this Quick Chicken and Potato Skillet is one of mine. (Cajun Shrimp Rice Skillet and Lemon Shrimp and Rice Recipe are some other go-to's!)
Meals for those times when it seems like there is nothing left to eat in the house.
Until you dive deep in the freezer and discover a couple of boneless chicken breasts that you haven't used yet and maybe a half used bag of frozen vegetables.
And then, if you're lucky, you check the pantry and it turns out there were a few stray potatoes hanging around, too! Now if you have an onion or two pushed to the back of the fridge... then it looks like you're all set to make this tasty one pot meal!
Grocery shopping averted (at least for one more day).
And the best part of this quick one-pan chicken dinner (aside from the low number of dishes!) is that it is so delicious that it doesn't even feel like you're eating a scraped together meal.
In fact, you might even decide to make it when you do have lots of groceries in the house (we do!).
- Avocado Oil- Butter, olive oil or coconut oil will also work.
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic Powder- Feel free to use 2 freshly minced garlic cloves instead.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts- You can increase the amount of chicken if you want the dish to have more meat. Boneless chicken thighs will also work in this recipe.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes- I have also made this recipe with Russet potatoes, red potatoes and halved baby potatoes. For more alternatives, check out this post all about Yukon Gold Potato Substitutes.
- Balsamic Vinegar- Red or white wine vinegar could be used in a pinch.
- Thyme- You can use 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme sprigs in place of dried.
- Frozen Vegetables- I like to use a mix of green beans, peas and carrots but use what you like best.
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
1. Cook chicken. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Cook the raw chicken for 2-3 minutes per side until lightly browned. It will continue to cook with the rest of the dish so it doesn't need to be cooked through.
2. Sauté onions. Place chicken to one side and add the onions and seasonings. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often until tender and starting to caramelize.
3. Add potatoes and simmer. Place the chicken in a single layer in the centre of the skillet and distribute the onions around. Add the potatoes on top of the onions and then pour water and balsamic vinegar over top of the chicken and potatoes. Sprinkle with thyme and cover.
Reduce to medium heat, simmer for 10 minutes and then stir. Add an additional ¼ to ½ cup water if needed. Cover and cook for 5-10 more minutes until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked though to an internal temperature of 165 F.
4. Add frozen vegetables. Pour the frozen vegetables on top, cover and cook for 5 more minutes until vegetables are heated through.
5. Serve! Stir to mix the vegetables in with the potatoes.
To Store: Store leftovers of this potato chicken one-pot meal in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I don't recommend freezing as it may affect the texture of the potatoes.
To Reheat: Reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
Make it Your Own
- Use sweet potatoes- Replace part or all of the potatoes with sweet potatoes.
- Change up the herbs- Try using other favorite dried or fresh herbs such as rosemary in place of the thyme or use a blend.
- Use chicken thighs- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs would be great in this recipe in place of chicken breasts.
- Dice the chicken- Dice the chicken into ¾ inch chunks so that it can be fully mixed into the potatoes and vegetables.
Garnish this one pan chicken and potato dinner with:
- Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped Fresh Herbs such as parsley or green onions
- Homemade Croutons
And try serving this simple family meal alongside:
If you have dietary restrictions, check the packaging of specific ingredients that you use to ensure they are compliant. This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like these fast and easy dinner recipes!
- Cumin Chicken and Carrots Sheet Pan
- Bruschetta Chicken Sheet Pan
- Egg Roll Bowls
- Cajun Chicken Sheet Pan (With Honey Butter)
Quick Chicken and Potato Skillet
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced, about 1 cup
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Cut in half for four pieces
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes cut into half inch cubes, about 4 cups
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups frozen vegetables of choice
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes per side until lightly browned.
- Move the chicken aside and add onions, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until tender and starting to caramelize.
- Position the chicken in the center of the skillet. Spread onions around the edges and place the potatoes on top. Pour the vinegar and water evenly over the dish. Sprinkle the thyme over top.
- Cover and let cook on medium for 10 minutes. Stir and add an additional ¼-1/2 cup of water if needed.
- Let cook 5-10 additional minutes until the potatoes are softened. Add the frozen vegetables to the dish and cook until warmed, about 3-5 additional minutes. Stir and serve.
More Quick Meals!
I'm in love with this one. It doesn't get much better than chicken, potatoes, and veggies. I think my family is going to love this.
Thank you for your kind review, Beth!
Made this for an easy breakfast option. It was so delicious. All of the flavors perfectly compliment each other!
Love this delicious side dish. Potatoes are my favorite. Delicious combination of ingredients. Perfect for Dinner.
Super quick and easy to make. It made our last night's dinner incredible!
Such a yummy one pot meal. I'm going to be making this a lot!
I love a meal like this. And I could make a quick crust with flour. But I don’t have the recipe ingredient, I can’t wait until I can get these ingredients!! Soon I hope things will turn around and this will be what I make on that shopping day !
I hope you enjoy this recipe, Rach!