Soft, chewy, cinnamon spiced and full of vanilla, indulge in these Healthy Oatmeal Cookie Bars whenever a cookie craving hits!
Since they are naturally sweetened and filled with good-for-you ingredients including oats and flax, you can even feel good about eating them!
Plus they are super easy to whip up! You only need one bowl, they take less than 10 minutes to mix up and don't require shaping. Just press them all into one 9x9 inch baking pan and they're ready for the oven.
Like these healthy copycat Eatmore Bars, these cookie squares are very freezer friendly and are a great snack (or treat) for packing in lunches and taking with you on the go.
Plus you can change out the add ins to turn these Flourless Oatmeal Cookie Bars into whatever cookie you are craving! I have lots of suggestions below.
- Rolled Oats- I like to use large flake rolled oats for this recipe but it should work with quick oats as well.
- Ground Flaxseed- Ensure that you use ground flax and not whole seeds as it helps to provide the structure for these bars.
- Butter- I've made these with both salted and unsalted butter and didn't notice any difference. If you would like to make these bars dairy free, you can use coconut oil instead.
- Almond Butter- Another nut or seed butter can be used instead. You might be able to replace it with additional butter (or coconut oil) in order to make them nut free but I haven't tried this. Sunflower seed butter would also work as a nut free option. See this post on almond butter substitutes for more details and ideas.
- Maple Syrup- Honey or agave syrup would also work.
- Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon- Depending on what add in you make these cookies with, you may want to reduce the cinnamon or leave it out.
- Sea Salt
- Egg- When I first started testing this recipe, I didn't use an egg but I found that they didn't hold together well. The egg is important for structure and adds to the chewy texture of these oatmeal cookie bars.
- Add Ins- Use your favourite cookie add ins. I'm partial to raisins in these but I have lots of other tasty suggestions below!
1. Melt butter and almond butter. In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and almond butter (about 30-45 seconds). Stir until smooth.
2. Mix in maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and sea salt.
3. Add the egg. Mix until well combined.
4. Mix in oats and flax.
5. Fold in add ins.
6. Press mixture into 9x9 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. I find using my hands easiest in order to get it packed down firmly. Tip: Lightly wet your hands before to prevent the batter from sticking to them.
7. Remove from oven, cut into bars and allow to cool. I find the bars hold their shape best if you cut the bars in the pan (with a plastic flipper or dull plastic knife) while they are still warm. I also find it helps to allow them to cool right in the pan (after cutting) for 30-45 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before storing. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy frozen or allow to thaw.
Make it Your Own
Use these healthy oatmeal cookie bars as a base for your favourite cookie flavours! You can omit or reduce the cinnamon to a ½ teaspoon if preferred. Use up to 1 cup of add ins such as:
- Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- Dried Cranberries
- Chopped Nuts
Or try out these flavour combos!
- Trail Mix - use ¼ cup each of peanuts, roasted almonds, raisins (or dried cranberries) and chocolate chips; omit cinnamon.
- White Chocolate Cranberry- ½ cup each of white chocolate chips and dried cranberries; reduce cinnamon to 1 tsp.
- Chocolate Almond- ½ cup each of chocolate chips and roasted almonds. Omit cinnamon.
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this...
...you might also like:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Quinoa Nut Snack Bars
- Crunchy Peanut Butter Snack Bars
- Oat Flour Snickerdoodles
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Oatmeal
Flourless Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- 6 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 and ¾ cups large flake rolled oats
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- ¾-1 cup add ins
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F.
- Place the butter and almond butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30-45 seconds until melted and stir to combine.
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt and mix. Stir in the egg until smooth.
- Mix in the oats and flax then fold in any add-ins.
- Press the mixture firmly into a lined 9x9 inch baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from the oven, cut into bars and allow to cool completely in the pan.
More Healthy Snack ideas!