Trade in your classic coleslaw recipe for this lemon tahini version! This great side dish features crunchy vegetables that are tossed in a bright and creamy 3 ingredient dressing. Keep it simple and make it as written or see the post for plenty of variation ideas.
I have to be honest with you. I'm not much of a coleslaw fan.
At least not in the traditional sense. (You won't even find me putting it on my Pulled Pork.)
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the vegetables just fine (like in this Thai Peanut Salad).
But the "good coleslaw dressing"? I'll pass. (Top it with some Chimichurri though and I'm there!)
But this lemon tahini coleslaw recipe- now that's a perfect match! Bright lemon and creamy tahini are just so much better than mayo.
And as a bonus, this is naturally a vegan coleslaw recipe as well.
So if you're like me and would rather have anything else on top of your coleslaw vegetables than a mayo and vinegar dressing, I've got you covered!
- Coleslaw- Feel free to use the pre-chopped mix from the grocery store (I love using it for the convenience!) or make your own with:
- Carrots- Either cut into thin matchsticks or shredded. You will need 2 cups.
- Shredded Cabbage- I recommend using a combination of red cabbage, white cabbage and green cabbage for a blend of colorful vegetables. You will need 6 cups total.
- Other Vegetables- See the "Make it Your Own" section below for ideas of other vegetables to add.
- Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Tahini- If you're not familiar with this golden brown spread, it is the wet paste that results from ground sesame seeds and is common in middle eastern cooking. Essentially it is sesame seed butter. Depending on the tahini brand you use, it may be toasted or untoasted- either will work for this recipe. And if you don't have any, you can make this recipe with almond butter instead.
- Lemon Juice- I highly recommend using freshly squeezed lemons for best flavor but the bottled stuff will work too if that is all you have on hand.
- Fine Sea Salt- Kosher salt or table salt will work as well; adjust to taste.
- Black Pepper (Optional)- I find adding black pepper brings the flavors together.
- Make Tahini Dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice and seasonings. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have achieved your desired consistency of dressing.
2. Mix. In a large mixing bowl, combine cabbage with the carrots and any other vegetables you are using. Pour the lemon tahini sauce over top and stir until evenly coated. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Leftovers and Storage
To Store: Dressed leftovers of this creamy slaw can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Undressed, the slaw and dressing can be stored separately in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. (It would be great added to a Canned Salmon Over Rice Bowl!)
Make it Your Own
Change Up the Slaw Vegetables- I kept the base recipe very simple by using a pre-chopped coleslaw mix of raw cabbage and carrots. Alternatively, you could use a different pre-chopped blend such as broccoli slaw. Or try adding some of these other vegetables for even more variety. (Note: If you exceed 8 cups total, you may want to increase the amount of dressing.):
- Red Onion
- Snap Peas
- Bell Pepper
- Green Onions
Tahini Lime Slaw- Try using lime juice in place of the lemon and replace the parsley with cilantro.
Take Your Dressing to the Next Level (check out the full sauce post for more ideas)-
- Garlic- For some garlicky flavor, add ½ teaspoon of garlic powder or a freshly minced clove to the dressing.
- Maple Syrup or Honey- For a touch of sweetness, try adding 1-2 tablespoon of maple syrup or honey.
- Cumin- Add ½ teaspoon of cumin powder for extra flavor.
Add some extra garnish by topping with:
- Additional Fresh Herbs such as green onions or cilantro
- Sesame Seeds
- Toasted Chopped Almonds
- Lemon Zest
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
This tasty tahini slaw recipe is great served with:
- Sugar Free Pulled Pork (I love using this in place of traditional coleslaw)
- Homemade Barbecued Beef Burgers
- Herb Roasted Cod with Cherry Tomatoes
LET ME PLAN YOUR DINNERS! Get My FREE Meal Plan (Including Grocery List!)>>>
And if you liked this recipe...
...you might also like:
Lemon Tahini Slaw
- 8 cups coleslaw mix (pre-chopped package) or a combination of 6 cups shredded cabbage and 2 cups chopped carrots
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon tahini
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt plus additional to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper optional
- 2-4 tablespoon warm water
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- In a large bowl, mix together your chopped vegetables (if not using a pre-chopped mix). Add 4 tablespoon of dressing, and toss until evenly coated. Taste and add additional dressing to taste (I like it saucy so I tend to use all of it!).
- Top with chopped parsley and any additional garnishes. Serve.